Prologue: Enigmatic Exam

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka

The idea of a fulfilling life is subjective.

What does it mean to win in life?

Obviously, it varies from person to person. What might be a pinnacle of achievement for one would probably hold little significance for another. Therefore, it's not a universal concept.

What one values in their childhood might differ greatly from what they cherish in their later years. Life experiences, changing circumstances, shifting priorities—all play a role in reshaping one's definition of success.

For some, it may be the attainment of wealth and a well-respected profession. They might find satisfaction in the recognition of their skills and the rewards that come with it. On the other hand, others might seek a more balanced life, where success is not measured by monetary gain or titles, but rather, by the quality of relationships and personal health.

Many like to associate success with creating a positive impact on the world through acts of kindness, or working toward a cause they are passionate about. I'd imagine how fulfilling it would feel to know that your actions have made a difference.

And those who value self-discovery apply personal development to their everyday lives—things like exploring new ideas, understanding oneself better, and striving to become the best version of themselves.

Ultimately, this all comes down to two things: Emotional development, or constant self-improvement.

Some may argue that achieving both is possible.

I disagree.

For something you can do, there is something you sacrifice. More time spent on one subject means less time on the other. Such a person who has mastered both traits is what one would normally say to describe a perfect human—a human that does not exist.

"If your HP drops to zero, your avatar will be deleted from the system forever... And the nervegear will simultaneously destroy your brain."

The entity's words rang like a bell that snapped me out of my thoughts, echoing throughout the blood-red plaza. The sea of players that surrounded me stood silent, as if unable to comprehend what they had just heard.

Glancing around, I observed the mix of confusion and fear that was present on everyone's faces. Some instinctively stepped back in fear, others genuinely confused.

"There is only one means of escape—to complete the game." The figure continued. "This means the defeat of the final boss on floor one-hundred."

"Bullshit!"

"Y...You're just making stuff up!"

"All one-hundred floors? Even the beta testers never made it that high!"

Many players let out exasperated comments. After the evidence that was presented to us thus far, I began to doubt whether this was a prank or not.

213 players found dead in their homes after NerveGear was forcibly taken off by parents or relatives.

The idea of a video game taking control of your mortality was not unheard of—in fact, many believed that it was an interesting idea, myself included.

As per a human's ability to adapt to their surroundings, a new world would create a new society with different constructs and hierarchy—a new life that many people would be able to experience once in many lifetimes.

As for me, this was nothing more than a game of survival. A game where winning was an absolute must.

***