Chapter 3: Gavin

"You're not my friend and baby, you never were."

- Sabrina Carpenter, "Read your Mind"

I thought about a way to deal with the devil.

"Hi, welcome to Califonia Tastes," I put on an obnoxiously big smile. "What can I get you?"

"Hi, may I please have caramel ice cream in a medium waffle cone, please?" Tyler ordered.

"Ok, sure," I took his order. Maybe Tyler wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I then scooped up his order. I made everything perfect to satisfy him. After I finished making his order, I handed the ice cream to him.

"Oh, by the way, I have a coupon," he handed me a coupon. I went to the cash register and calculated the cost. "That'll be $4.02."

Tyler then handed me $5. "Keep the change."

"Alright," I took the $5 bill from him. Tyler then sat down next to a booth. I went close to him to ask him a question.

"May I ask you a question, please?"

"Sure," Tyler finished his lick of ice cream. He then looked at me. "What do you want to ask me?"

"Why did you keep poking yourself with a pencil in class?" I looked at him, genuinely wanting to get to the bottom of this mystery. "Is it a coping mechanism or something?" Tyler attentively heard my question but continued eating his ice cream as if he heard nothing at all.

I crossed my arms. "Please answer my question. Why did you keep poking yourself with a pencil in class?" I fake-patiently waited for his answer and crossed my arms. He's still ignoring my question.

I'm tapping my foot now, and I'm starting to get pissed off. "Please answer my question!" I started raising my voice. Now Tyler's halfway done with his ice cream. He's biting the cone. Well, he can have his cone later until he answers my fucking question.

I aggressively snatched the cone from Tyler. "You may have your cone back, but when you finish the cone, you must answer my question, deal?" I irritably asked him. Tyler then snatched the cone back to him and bit the cone so slowly that it would have already been midnight by the time he finished it.

That's it. That's my tipping point. Yes, I know it's disrespectful, but it's also disrespectful to not answer someone's question. I smacked his hand away from the cone, went to the trash can, and threw it in.

"What the fuck?!" Tyler looked at me aggressively.

"You didn't answer my question!" I shouted at him, my face turning red. "So I had to take it away from you."

"What if I don't want to answer your question?" he yelled back. He looked like an aggressive bull ready to take charge. Then he pushed me to the floor, his right hand on my chest. I looked at him, and wow, he was even sexier when it is from this angle. However, his sexiness has no right to treat me like a piece of shit.

I resisted to be under Tyler's dominance and wrestled him. He then jabbed me in the middle of my chest. I got up and uppercut his face. He then tackled me down on the floor and soon enough, we were 17 but without the "teen."

I must admit, I really fucked up for fighting with a high school jock because I wasn't prepared for physically fighting with someone like him. But enough is enough and I really need the devil to go back to the hell where he came from.

After fighting for a while, I finally opened the door and pushed Tyler out.

"And never come back here ever again!" I yelled, giving him the middle finger. I went back to the counter and minded my own business as if nothing had ever happened.

At 7:30 pm, my shift ended. I changed from my work clothes back into my regular clothes. I went into my car and drove. In my mind, I thought about life without Tyler and how much less miserable I would be if he weren't in it. However, it would be sad because I can't romanticize about him anymore if he didn't exist. Someone, that's a blessing and a curse at the same time.

As I entered my house, I saw Dad sitting at the dining table.

"Hey, Chinese food is in the fridge," he said, pointing to the fridge.

I walked over to the fridge and found the takeout box. "Thanks," I went over to the fridge and grabbed chopsticks. I started to eat my General Tso's chicken.

"So... how was your job today?" Dad looked up at me.

"Um... it was good!" I lied. He didn't need to know about the fight I had with Tyler. 

"Well good for you!" he bought into the lie. Let's just hope he doesn't find out about the truth.

After finishing my dinner, I did my homework, which took about an hour. I started The Great Gatsby and read it until I came to a reasonable stopping point. I then showered and put on a white tank top and some plaid green pajama pants. After showering, I went onto my computer for leisure, like playing games and having casual conversations over the Internet.

When it was 10:30 pm, I closed my computer and went to sleep. I dreamt of things that mattered to me. Tyler never existed in those dreams. Just things that mattered to me.