Spell Gone Wrong

A Thunderstorm.
A Flood.
Bodies.
Desecrated and Ruined.

Slave 1860 woke with a start, he was sweating through his ragged shirt. It was just a nightmare. He sighed and laid back down onto his pile straw. The prison was dark, except for the moonlight that shone through the crack in the wall. He started to think of how close it is until he is also executed, and then he remembered his friend Trisqus and his last words he said to him the night before his death.

"Remember our heritage and know our people won't always be imprisoned, one day we will be free again. Until then stay brave. Trisqus whispered to him.

"Can you show me now?" asked Slave 1891, startling Slave 1860 from his reminiscing.

"What?! Show you what?" Slave 1860 asked frowning, still shaking off his sleep.

"Magic, you know? Please!" Slave 1891 asked again, shaking with excitement.

"Right now?" asked Slave 1860, still tired.

Slave 1891 nodded his head eagerly.

"Fine, I suppose it's time." he said.

"Listen closely and follow my lead." They crouched together. Their backs to the cell door, trying to conceal what they were doing.

"Arre' Kar' Ninen Ca' Den' Kes Uner' No' Me." Silver light spilled from Slave 1860's fingers and illuminated the whole room. Slave 1860 closed his hands into fists and it all disappeared .

"Now you try."

"Okay" Slave 1891 said shakingly.

"Arre' Kar' Ninen Ca'Den' Kes' Uner' No' Me'. " A small blue light flashed into existence, before dimming until it was gone.

"Really good, that was a lot better than what I achieved my first time." Slave 1860 said.

"Slave 1860, where did Trisqus learn how to do this?" asked Slave 1891.

"I don't know, I never asked him." he responded.

Trees closely dotted the large mountain peak, covering the small fort that stood precariously near the edge of the mountain. Many birds of various species circled the fort, flying in a loose, but organized pattern, some dipping down and flying back up seconds later. Nuntius sat staring out the window, watching the almost constant stream of birds landing on his desk, chirping a quick report of their findings and then flying off swiftly once more. Nuntius wrote only the most interesting things he discovered from the birds down, which was very vague to begin with, and then had to write a report, mostly made up of theories that were based on the birds report, and sent it via Night hawk to his brother, Venator. As Nuntius watched the sun start to set, the top of the Melv's Point appeared in front of the the orange sun, bitterness swept his emotions and he lashed out to the contents on his desk, spilling ink and parchments flying.

1860 and 1891 sat together against the back wall, watching the shadows move across their cell door each time a guard passed. 1891 slowly clenching his fist, whispering the words for light

"Arre' Kar' Ninen Ca'Den' Kes' Uner' No' Me'.

The light grew steadily brighter each time before he extinguished it, the guard stopped right outside their cell and the two quickly separated diving for opposite corners of each other and waiting for the guard to either pass or open their door. For nearly a minute nobody moved, then the guard resumed his daily patrol again, and the two slaves breathed in relief.

1860 felt a poking in his back and turned around to see a little sparrow peering through the small hole in the prison wall, he moved and the sparrow hopped down onto his arm.