From the Ashes

As the first century of the Targaryen dynasty came to a close, the health of the Old King, Jaehaerys, was failing. In those days, House Targaryen stood at the height of its strength, with ten adult dragons under its yoke. No power in the world could stand against it. King Jaehaerys reigned over nearly sixty years of peace and prosperity. But tragedy had claimed both his sons and heirs, leaving his succession in doubt. So in the year one hundred and one, the Old King called a Great Council to choose his heir. Over a thousand lords made the journey to Harrenhal. 

        Fourteen succession claims were heard. But only two were truly considered: Princess Rhaenys Targaryen, the king's eldest descendent, and her younger cousin, Prince Viserys Targaryen, the king's eldest male descendent. The vote was said to have been twenty-to-one. Rhaenys, a woman, would not inherit the Iron Throne. The lords instead chose Viserys. My Father. 

        Jaehaerys called the Great Council to ensure that his succession would be conferred in peace. For he knew the cold truth: The only thing that could tear down the House of the Dragon was itself.

- Rhaenyra Targaryen

        It was no shock to anyone, when a young woman claimed that she was with child and the babe belonged to the Rogue Prince. Near the end of her pregnancy, word had spread to the King Viserys of this news. She was brought before him, swearing that what she claimed was true. She was to stay in the keep until the babe was born, and she could either raise it or leave it with Daemon. She chose the latter. But it was not one babe that was born, it was two. Twins.

        When the King called on his brother, Daemon could not believe it. Nearly a fortnight ago, Rhaenyra had wed Ser Laenor Velaryon and Daemon had danced with the Lady Laena. The two were now discussing a union and children didn't seem to fit into his schedule. Though Viserys and Daemons relationship was strained, the King legitimized his brothers bastard twins. Daemon was out of his element, rushing through the keep to Laenas chambers so they might discuss this altered future. She agreed to help raise them with him, even going as far as coming up with names and picking dragon eggs. Vaerion and Daenyra she named them. The boy, the older twin, was a quiet and gentle little fellow. The girl, a fiery spirit, tough, and a crier.

        They married within a fortnight and left for Pentos shortly after with their two dragons, the twins, and the eggs that were lain in their cradles.

Hi and welcome to my story! I am a giant A Song of Ice and Fire fan and after last night's episode of house of the dragon (Season 2, Ep 7), I have been inspired to write my own story and put my own twist to George's books and characters. I hope you enjoy! And feel free to ask me any questions about the lore, world, lineage, etc. I feel like I know for about Westerosi/Targaryen history than I do about American history at this point!

This will contain mature themes! Incest, murder, death, etc. But what did we expect, this is the world of A Song of Ice and Fire!