I

My father always hated me.

There was no denying how painfully obvious it was to see his dull eyes stare back at mine. I was filled to the brim that slowly leaked to form more tears than I could handle. I didn't know what I did. I couldn't know.

Ever since I could remember my father looked at me with disdain as he grew more and more distant as time went by.

When I was just an infant I heard my father cry to a woman I had never met. His voice was filled with hurt and remorse as he repeated those same words " Why must I take care of a dreadful creature that ripped you away from my arms? Come back to me Chérie, I need you."

I didn't understand, I was only four.

As I grew older he grew colder. When he looked at me with those eyes I knew what would happen. I could see his eyes water, but no tears ever flowed. His whole demeanor would shake and one of his hands would raise high before it landed on my face. It was almost like a ritual; every morning, noon, and night, he'd look at me with those very eyes.

Those eyes were filled with pain and suffering. I'll walk by his office now and then. I'll hear him scream his lungs out " Why must that abomination remind me of her!?" Over and over again.

I still didn't understand, I was only seven.

Day after day, he'd lock me in my room, saying how vile and disgusting I looked.
It hurt. But, it was the only thing he would ever say. Countless times, I'll stare at my reflection, looking for something.

I didn't know what I was looking for. Perhaps it was something to like, something that I could love and cherish for my own, but I couldn't find any. I'll look at my eyes trying to see what my father hated so much. Was it because my eyes were blue? I don't know. My eyes were as cold as his actions, and everything he said, my eyes would reflect.

Was I supposed to know something? Or maybe someone.

I never know anything, I'm only ten.

The words he says stab me in the heart. I've cried countless times, but the vase never has its end. It was filled till it overflowed.

Something is wrong with me. I don't like what I see. Reflections were like a constant reminder of the disgusting creature I am.

Each time my father hit me... I accepted.

I deserve it. I'm an abomination.

"Cover those disgusting eyes of yours!"

" Why do you look like that!?"

"Cover it up!'

Why must this happen to me, I'm only twelve.

I must be perfect.

Must be perfect.

Be perfect.

Perfect.

But, I'm not perfect... I'm disgusting.

I'm a disappointment.

Why was I born?

I'm an abomination.

Why are my eyes so putrid?

I don't understand. I'm only thirteen.

One evening, when the moon was rising and the sun was falling, I saw something. It was a woman but, she looked a lot like me. It scared me to wit's end, but I didn't move. I couldn't move. Her eyes were identical to mine, her face strangely similar to mine, and her smile showed a new light to me.

But, something was off. Her skin was pale, and the air around her was... Cold. She was partly transparent to the point I could see through her. There was a hue of light around her... It was blue. A sad one. When I felt it hit me, I started to cry, but these tears were different. They didn't pain me nor did it cripple me.

I felt-

Safe.

I was confused. She looked at me with pity, but I didn't understand why. What was she pitying about?

She moved closer to me, and somehow, my knees fell weak, dropping me to my knees.

What is this feeling?

My heart clenched into itself I felt my breath become shallow. My heartbeat picked up and my lips began to quiver.

I brought my hands in front of my eyes... I- I was shaking.

I tried to speak, but no words ever came out. My eyes ripped away from my hands to the woman who leaned over me.

She smiled at me.

A smile that I didn't deserve.

" You do deserve it." She spoke, her voice filled with something so foreign to me. "W-What?" My voice filled with confusion as my voice quivered to the point I felt like my emotions took control.

She kneeled as her hand hovered above mine. " You deserve to be happy." At those words, I felt myself break down as my walls slowly crumbled until only rubble was left.

I wanted to scream and cry but, I don't know if I should.

" Cry if you want to. No one is stopping you."

All those years of oppression the vase let itself flow. I cried to the point my tears stained my cheeks. I screamed till my voice went horsed all while she stayed by my side.

I was fourteen then, but now I'm fifteen. I came to an understanding, the day I met that lady. I could talk to the dead, I could see them.

But sadly, I've never got the lady's name nor do I know my relations with her. She comforted me till I stopped weeping, and her last words to me were, 'We'll meet again when the time is right'. It confused me, but I didn't question it.

After I met her I started to see more dead people. Each had a distinct hue to them and I grew to talk to some of them. I tried to hide this from my father, but I know nothing ever passes without him knowing.

He yelled, screamed, and shouted at how much of a monster I am.

So he did what he normally does. Hits me and then locks me up as I'm bleeding out on the floor.

But, he said something else.

" I'm sending you where all the monsters go!"

Apart from me being wounded by the beating the day prior I was curious about where my father was taking me.

I hope that maybe his influence on me could weary and finally let me breathe.