Chapter 1: Unsettled

"We are very sorry,"

No...

"But your uncle has disappeared. We have no traces of him."

The day my uncle disappeared,

It was the day I moved into my new neighborhood with Grandma.

I thought that maybe... just maybe if I didn't move too far away from him...

Would he have still been around?

********************

"We have sad news,"

Please don't tell me...

"We believe he must have been swept by water a few days ago, due to the heavy rainfall."

Mom: How is that possible? Did you find the body perhaps?

"Not yet, but according to what the people have told us and your description of your brother, it seems true. I am sorry."

The call was then ended.

I stood in shock, along with my grandma, unable to utter a single word. My brain wouldn't function properly. I couldn't believe he would just be swept by water like that. I had a feeling he was out there, somewhere.

Grandma tried her best to be strong. A few days passed and she had to leave to take care of my great-grandma, who was sick and needed help. I would have loved to go along but had school to attend. 

Feeling sad about not having grandma around, the thought of having my uncle disappear, let alone get swept away by water made a lump in my throat that I pushed so hard. I had to be strong. 

How was I to explain the reason behind my tears without crying even ten times more than I already did? I couldn't bring myself to tears. To 'mourn' so to say about my uncle. It felt as if I had many other ways to prevent it. 

Mom felt it too. More than six years had passed since I last saw him. He cared for me as a child, when my parents had to go for their marriage license. It was the first time I was ever left alone with my uncle, apart from my grandma and great-grandma. Mom and I had so many plans to do. Catch up with one another, play games - the fun.

To be bombed with such devasting news on your second month of arrival felt too much to bear - but thanks to school, I kept myself busy joining class, doing homework and tasks, and preparing for tests and exams.

MONDAY

AFTER SCHOOL

Crystal View High

Zion: Hey, Bluey!

That is Zion. My rival, enemy, nemesis, every word that means 'enemy' describes him. Not only was he smart academically, but we lived in the same neighborhood!

Me: Hi Zion.

I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone. I was in the middle of grieving for my uncle and Zion was just on his case with his friends - as always.

Zion: What did you get for the Physical Education Task?

Me: Why do you ask?

Zion: (smirks) You know, you can always step down, while I take the role of brightest student.

Me: (annoyed) I got 10/10 for that Zion! That was so easy! Now leave me alone.

I walked away, trying to calm myself down before my anger erupted.

Me: All he thinks are games as if they mean a lot more than life.

Linda: But you don't have to face it alone you know?