Chapter 5: 'This Was...'

After school, we went with Linda to her sister's workplace. I told my parents that Zion and I were going with Linda and that we would be back a bit late. Once we arrived, we went into her office which was full of papers and reports.

Me: A day in your life is never dull I see.

Lena: That's right. It's autopsy after autopsy.

Emma: Cool!

Lena: Have any of you... apart from Lindi, who is interested in this kind of work?

Emma: I am! It's so cool!

Lena: That's true, although some of the reasons for death are sometimes... a bit disturbing.

Me: She wouldn't care. The thrill is her thing anyway.

Lena laughed before we then discussed our reason for being at her workplace.

Me: My uncle has disappeared for two years. I want to know whether he is alive or not.

Lena: Okay. Are you sure you want to do this?

Me: You sound like someone.

I looked at Zion before continuing.

Me: I am confident. I rather mourn that he has deceased rather than wonder whether he is alive or not.

Lena: Logical. Okay. Do you have anything that you have found that could give us a clue?

I took out of my bag the ziplock that contained my uncle's bucket hat. I gave it to Lena and in turn, she wore her gloves before attempting to touch the hat.

Lena: Let me run some tests, then I will be back.

We nodded as she walked away. We decided to talk more about family and stuff.

Linda: This kind of reminds me of the death of our father.

Me: Really?

Linda: Yeah. We never knew the cause of our father's death - they had to make up one.

Emma: You are not alone.

We all turned to look at Emma.

Emma: My... my big brother was mysteriously found dead. No one knew the reason why. They had to blame a 'car accident' and like that (snapping her fingers) It was under the carpet.

Me: I am sorry to hear that Emma.

Emma: It's okay.

She then showed a bright smile.

Emma: But at least we have you as the brave one - maybe you might help us conclude our miseries.

I smiled at her and hugged her.

Me: Who knows? Although that might be twisted.

Zion: That would be insane.

Zion stood in front of us.

Zion: A question that would arise would be, "What agenda does the killer have in murdering our family members?"

We fell silent, pondering over Zion's comment, which was when Lena came back with the results.

Lena: I am back.

She stood in front of us, while Zion stood next to me. Lena took a look at each one of us. Then she looked at me intently.

Lena: Zella?

Me: Yes?

Lena: Not to put you on the spot, but do you have a suspect in the disappearance of your uncle?