Beginner's Luck

A faded Ford Model T is driving down a dusty dirt road until it turns into a driveway. The old school car passes by a mailbox that has 'JONES' painted on it. Behind the wheel is none other than Henry Walton Jones Sr. A look of confusion overcomes his bearded face once he spots a bicycle leaning against the outside of his home. Henry quickly whips out his pocket watch. He glances down at the clock then gives a glare to the bike, shaking his head with disappointment.

 He glances down at the clock then gives a glare to the bike, shaking his head with disappointment

Inside the home is Henry Jones Jr. laying in bed with his dog, Indiana. The boy and his dog are alone in his room as he quietly reads a comic book. The sudden sound of approaching footsteps causes Indiana to sit straight up. The door swings open and his father barges in with frustration on his face, "JUNIOR! You're supposed to be at work!"

Startled, Junior nearly falls off the bed as he scrambles reaching for his wristwatch on the nightstand. Grabbing hold of the watch, he looks at it and yells, "DAMN!"

His father gasps, "LANGUAGE!"

Jumping off the bed and into his work clothes, Junior rolls his eyes, "Sorry, Dad..."

His father looks around his son's room then focuses on the comics by the bed. Looking closer he sees cowboys, aliens and superheroes, he shakes his head. "You've got more cartoon books than you do textbooks! You have finals next week, son!"

"They're graphic novels..." Junior grumbles under his breath.

"Novels??" Henry interrogates as he holds one of the thin comics in his hand, flopping the flimsy book around. He tosses the comic back on the floor, "And pick up this room," Henry says, waving his hand at some socks on the floor. "You're living like a dog!"

"...Yes, sir..." Junior pushes out a sigh. He kicks the socks under the bed and gives his dad a smile. Now dressed and ready for work, the young man squeezes past his old man who still stands in front of the doorway.

After running through the house, Junior freezes when reaching for the front door. He looks down, realizing Indiana followed him every step of the way. Taking a second, he drops down to his dog. Junior scratches the top of his head, "I'll be right back, boy."

  The young man stands up, tall and strong. He grabs the front door and whips it open, ready to conquer the day. Just before stepping out, Junior glances over to his old brown fedora hanging on a hook. A sense of wonder washes over him. That hat has a strange hold on him, as he looks with longing. Shoving aside his aspirations, he darts out the door. Jumping on his old bike, he dashes down the dirt road, leaving behind a cloud of dust.

    —————— I ——————