𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘐𝘐𝘐

July 13th, 1981

July 13th, 1981

The Night of the Charity Banquet

Houston, Texas

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

"Are you sure about this, Bee?" Angel probed as she played with my hair, watching me through her vanity mirror. "I know I said we should go, but I don't want nothing happenin' to you 'cause of it."

"I'm sure." I exhaled, trying not to remind myself of what could happen if my dad caught me going against his words.

"Ok, but remember that if you need somewhere to stay, you always have a plate at our table." I smiled genuinely at her offer, knowing she truly meant it.

Yesterday...

"I don't know what to do. It's like the older I get, the tighter his leash gets around my neck. I can't do anything without his say-so." I cried out to Angel through the phone, my voice a bit strained after ranting to her for the past few hours. I laid my head on my pillows, sprawling out on my bed.

My parents had been out for the day so I was free to do whatever at the house.

"Well, what chu gon' do, Bee? Y'know he isn't gonna change his mind no matter how stupid he sounds." She asked, as frustrated as I was since she knew how my dad could be.

"I don't know," A tense silence passed over the two of us, "But I know one thing, I'm going to that banquet. I'll show him that I don't need his permission to do anything! I'm a grown-ass woman!" I sat up with new enthusiasm, trying to convince myself that it was true and I didn't need to follow my dad's rules.

"That part!" Angel agreed, matching my energy.

"I'm gonna need your help ok?" I whispered through the phone like he could hear me plotting against him.

Present day...

After setting up the dessert table, I had driven to Angel's house instead of going home. I knew if I got ready at home I'd never get out the house.

"What'd I do to deserve you, Angel?"

"You don't needa do a thing." She wrapped her arms around my shoulders in a warm hug from behind that I gladly returned. "Now, what look you feelin' today?"

"Hmm, jus' surprise me." I shrugged as she pulled my braids into a ponytail. She grabbed my makeup bag from the bed and began sifting through it. "You know you could be real successful, how come you don't start some kinda business? You have the connections to do so."

"Woah, woah, woah. Back it up. Where'd this come from?" She spun the swivel chair so I could face her. "Well, first of all, we made a promise that we'd be successful together, build our own empire. If I can't have my best friend since damn near diapers be on top wit me, it ain't success." Angel shrugged and began applying various skin care products to my face.