boy tries to get a glass of water: INSTANTLY REGRETS IT

Sometimes I think about when it started. For me, at least.
I woke up in the middle of the night. Since I was thirsty, I went downstairs to grab a glass of water. Was it a wise choice? I don't know.
When I went to pour the water in the cup, I saw something outside of the window. A shadow. Something was off. I stood there for a few moments wondering if the shadow was real or if it was just my imagination.
Turns out, it wasn't my imagination. I was about to turn away when a pair of bloodshot eyes with white irises made eye contact with me. I was so startled I jumped back a good five feet.
I turned around and ran as fast as I could up the stairs, to my sister and I's shared room. I walked over to her bed and tapped on her shoulder.
Her eyes fluttered open. "What?"
Her blue Power Rangers shirt was wrinkled, and her lower body was hidden underneath the blanket. Half of her hair was tied back in a messy bun (to be honest, calling it a bun was generous. It looked like a rats' nest), and the other half in her mouth.
"I'm scared," I told her.
"Go to sleep. I don't care about your nightmares."
"Samaira, I think someone's watching us."
"What? Where are they?"
"Downstairs, kitchen window."
"Stay here. I'm going."
"Shouldn't we tell mom or dad?"
"No," she grabbed a knife from her bedside table.
"What are you doing?"
"None of your business. Stay here or I'll tell mom that you're awake at 2 am."

I chose the less stupid option and stayed put while she went downstairs. After a good 5 minutes of complete silence, I went to my parents' room. I tapped on my mom's shoulder and she woke up.
"Go to sleep," she said.
"There's someone outside!" I whispered.
"Tell your sister. She'll take care of it."
"I did!"
"How long has it been?"
"Five minutes."
"She'll be back."
"Please, mom!"
"Fine. Go back to your room and sleep."

My mom sat up and got off her bed. She sent me a glare and trudged downstairs while i headed back to my room.
It's hard to sleep when you have a terrible sinking feeling in your gut, but I did. For once, I didn't have nightmares.

-

I realized in the morning when I woke up why I didn't have nightmares. My life became one! I got up and was greeted by the scent of cologne. I went to my parents' room, where there was no sign of my mother. My father, however, was standing in front of a mirror, spraying enough cologne to smell it from across the neighborhood.
"Where are you going?" I asked.
"Work," he replied.
"What? You can't!"
"Why not?"
"Because the others left and didn't come back!"
"They probably just went shopping. Now, move." He walked to the door.
I stepped in front of him to prevent him from leaving. "You can't just leave me alone!"
"You're old enough to take care of yourself. I'm only going for a few hours."
"But I'll be home alone!"
"You've said that, yes."
"So you shouldn't leave!"
"Do you really want to stop me from earning money for us?" He looked irritated. "You'd be on the streets if it weren't for me. Now move out of the way and let me go to work."
I obliged, and he exited the house with a huff. A few moments later I was watching his car leave the driveway, and I knew I'd never see him again.