Five - Two Paths

A warm breeze danced over my face, throwing small pieces of my hair around my head. I slowly became more conscious, stepping out of my sleep, but did not open my eyes. The bed I had fallen asleep in was too comfortable to even move an inch. I felt as if none of the nightmares had taken place and I was back in The Edge. Back with my mom at home.

I slowly opened my eyes to find the curtains in front of every window closed, flowing softly in the wind. There was little sound outside, only the song of a few birds. I noticed deep sleep lines decorating my arms and shoulders. The sun appeared to be towards the center of the sky, I must have slept for eight or more hours. Finally. I slowly looked around to find myself alone in the house. I wondered where Grey was. I lifted my body before stretching my limbs in every direction.

When I finally lifted from the bed I took a stroll around the small home looking for my host. He wasn't in the kitchen, or his study. Oh wait! I decided to take a look in one more spot, a couch I noticed earlier, hidden in the corner. It was usually surrounded by thick books, scattered papers, and what seemed like an old computer. This space wasn't in view when first entering the house and I noticed it sometime yesterday. When I rounded the corner I saw him laying out over the couch. He was deep in sleep with his head on the right arm rest. His legs surpassed the other end of the couch by a few feet.

I watched him breathe in and out slowly. Although last nights sleep was the best I've had in what seemed like forever, I did feel bad he had taken this small space. After another moment of analyzing Grey I turned back to make the bed. Along with that I closed the windows and shifted the curtains together. Upon catching my own reflection in the last window I noticed my messy hair. I quickly used my fingers to brush through it and tucked it behind my ears. I tried to smile a little, and remain positive despite all that has happened.

I watched as my reflection morphed into Mikah's and took a step back in shock. He was now standing in front of me, the window separating us. Panic and relief simultaneously shot through my veins. I ran to the door, opening it with both hands. "Mikah!" I yelled, throwing my arms around his head. His scent returned to me and I could feel half of my anxiety melt away. I did not release my arms as he mirrored my action and brought us both inside the house. "Aria!" He said happily. After he put me down I took a step back to analyze his face. "Miakh! I am so glad you're okay!" I said, my smile growing the longer he stood in front of me. "You as well!"

His happy face now painted with a little worry as he closed the door behind us. His voice lowered and he leaned his head down quickly. "Hey, do you know what's going on?" He asked, almost in a whisper. "Yes! Aaron is alive!" I said, both still shocked and angry. "I know!" Mikah said, smiling. "Have you talked to him?" He then asked. "Yes," I began, my eyebrows forming a confused look now. "Have you?" I suddenly looked over his entire face. Just then, before Mikah could answer, Grey turned into the room. "Mikah." He said sternly. My childhood friend straightened up at the sight of Grey. "Can we help you?" He said as if it were us against him. I didn't like that.

"Hey, we were just catching up." Mikah responded, shifting his weight closer to me. Grey continued to look directly in his eyes. "Well it seems like you've done that, you're free to go now." Grey said annoyed. What the hell? Grey knew how much I worried about Mikah. He didn't respond but his face became angry. They stared at each other for a moment before Mikah turned to leave. "I'll see you around Aria." He finally said quietly to me as he opened the door to leave.

    I turned to face Grey before the door had finished closing. Anger and confusion painted my face. Grey became more relaxed and headed towards the kitchen. "What was that for? That's the first time I've seen him since we were brought here!" I began. I went to join him in the kitchen. "Don't you remember what I told you? He's buddies with Aaron now, Aria, remember?" He became annoyed. "We don't know that for sure, I'm just glad to see he's alive!" Relief filled my body but my face remained the same. Grey turned to face me now. "I think it's best we keep our plan to ourselves for now." Grey said, lowering his voice a little, still rude.