𝟹𝟾. ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴏᴡᴇʀ ᴏғ ᴜsɪɴɢ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʙʀᴀɪɴ

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

A dizzying feeling came to an end as Joe's feet hit solid ground. The oozy churning of her stomach faded and she was happy to keep her breakfast inside. She blinked, her sight slowly adjusting to another blinding white room. The tears were long forgotten, her head swiveling on her neck to capture every crook and cranny of the new area.

Wonder took over her body, momentarily distracting her from the ugly pit in the back of her mind. Yet she didn't allow herself to fully freak out about her surroundings. Chase's life was on the line, after all. She glanced toward the unconscious body held by Adam, her heart picking up speed.

They were here for him.

"Welcome to Mighty Med, the world's best superhero hospital," Oliver introduced, a proud grin dancing on his lips.

Leo's demeanor was as excited as could be, his wide eyes basking in the newfound world of superheroes. "First I get to travel through a wormhole, and now, I'm in a superhero hospital? This is the best day ever!"

Luckily, Bree shut him down and reminded, "If you don't count the part where our brother got blasted and is about to die."

"Wow. You really know how to ruin a guy's day," he grumbled, earning a hard box to his arm from Joe. "Ow!"

"I'll ruin something else for you if you don't shut up," she warned, glaring and actually scaring him. The anger flickering in her eyes was like nothing he ever experienced. Not even when he spoiled the death of Commander Jordyna for her.

In the meantime, Oliver and Kaz instructed Adam to set Chase on one of the gurneys. They settled him onto the bed, carefully arranging his limbs to not accidentally fall off. When Leo and Joe joined, the two medics called for another doctor.

"Horace." A middle-aged man with streaks of grey in his hair and a neatly trimmed goatee and mustache, turned toward the call and approached the group, carrying himself with an air of authority. He stopped beside Kaz and listened attentively. "Chase was blasted by the Incapacitator. He needs immediate medical attention!"

"Oh no, not Chase. This is terrible!" Horace cried, grabbing everyone's attention, only to freeze as his expression twisted into one of boredom. "Who's Chase?"

Oliver raised one of Chase's arms and pointed. "Him."

Joe clung to Adam's hand, reminding herself to not scold them for their treatment of the boy. He may be unconscious, but he deserved a respectful handling, which was seriously lacking. She had chosen to keep a distance from the unconscious Chase to not arouse any suspicion about her unusual concern. Instead, she took to her best friend. Surely, he was as affected as herself, if not more. They were brothers, after all.

The squeezing of her hand proved her assumption correct.

The doctor's face lit up into a bright smile and he approached the patient with an outstretched hand. "Nice to meet you," he greeted Chase, who didn't respond due to his current condition. This prompted a comment from the doctor. "He's not very friendly, is he?"