Chapter 13

I snapped out of the trance before everyone else.

The tune was familiar, something I had hummed to myself before.  But I didn't know where it was from.  She had sang some lyrics with it.  My head started to hurt, and I decided not to push it.

"Ana, Mr. Clark."  I shook them.

She was gone, and we couldn't just be here whining about it.  We had to find her.

They snapped out of it, and hurriedly started to pace around, looking at everything.

"She's gone."

Mr. Clark started to cuss and curse and I felt that he probably was beating the world record for the longest string of curses in history.  I felt numb in this whole situation.

He unlocked his phone and started to tap on the screen and call while Ana and I sat together.

"Derek.  It's been a long time."

"Now's not the time, bastard," he hissed.  He sounded mad, but our brains were sloshing inside out to register Anthony's death and Kiri's disappearance to think.  Ana slowly cried and I hugged her in a friendly matter.

I myself was numb... but I felt a hole in my chest that wasn't there before.

"I need you to find her.  She goes by Kiri Tom, but she may give you a different name.  You know what she looks like.  Please, you don't have to bring her here, but if she get's involved in your dirty business, I'll hunt you down myself.  Make sure she's safe," continued Mr. Clark.

The other side was quiet.  It was deafening, and seemed to envelope around us, press down.

"Fine."  The other side hung up and Mr. Clark put his phone down.

"Hey Ana, I need to talk to you real quick."  Oddly calm.

She got up and followed him.

. . .

Ana's POV

"She's his mate, but he doesn't know it, cause it was before you guys," she did a rewind motion, "umm... my brother di - left us because those crazy scientist have children who are also crazy, and the government is hunting you down because they think you are involved with a mafia group."  I stumbled over my words, and couldn't bring myself to say died.

I still felt like he was going to come around with Kiri laughing, and they will do something that will make Ron frown unconsciously.

"You must not tell Ron."

I nodded and left the room.

. . .

Kiri's POV

Wolves were circling around the tree.  Yipping and yowling.  But I wasn't afraid.  The sun was about to come up anyways, which meant I would be able to see them better and figure out a way to kill them.

Then they disappeared, turning around with their tail in between their legs.

A man suddenly appeared after a few minutes.

"Are you going to come down?  We're not going to hurt you, just take you to a safe house."

"..."  It felt like a kidnapping.

He looked at me for an answer then sighed, and threw a dart that implanted itself into my right arm.  It stinged like a needle, and I passed out, feeling arms catch me before everything blanked out.

. . .

I sat with my head in my hands and screamed so loud that Ana and Mr. Clark came back.

"Are you okay?"

"No, just frustrated.  Mad, sad."

Ana nodded and Mr. Clark just sighed.  I didn't even know what to feel.  Was I mad?  Or sad?  Or frustrated?

I think I felt more tired and emotionally drained than anything.

I wanted to curse at Kiri, but it wasn't her fault completely.  I remember that she did love Anthony more than herself.  It did annoy me at the time, but at least it was somewhat better than this.  Fools are those who fall in love too deep.

It was kind of her fault.

I decided not to dwell on it.

"Well, okay, I made a call with someone I know, and she'll be fine.  But she may not come back for some time.  Maybe a couple of weeks.  Let's just sleep on it and rest for a bit.  I think we need it.  I'm sorry about Anthony, Ana.  I lost my sister... so I know how you feel.  I think.  It will numb over after a while."

She just nodded and looked blank and conflicted.

Mr. Clark turned into a bat and rested on a cushion in a corner.  He didn't have a bed and just used a cushion to save space.

Damn it.  Why don't I just turn into a wolf and hunt Kiri down?

"I'm going out for a bit, Mr. Clark," I said as I started to leave.

The bat nodded in reply.  Ana didn't say anything, just like a marionette.

As soon as I was out of sight, I started to turn into a white wolf with brown eyes.  I usually imagined a black wolf with green eyes, similar to myself, but then Kiri will know who I am.  To turn into a wolf, all I needed to do was imagine a picture of one, and I will turn into a wolf that looks like it.  Easy.

I felt my bones stretching and moving unnaturally until I gained the form of a wolf, where I casually ran on four limbs and howled to left other wolves know I'm there.

I could smell my surrounding like I was the environment, and I was already making a map.

I smelled her scent, a heavy vanilla in this form, and I felt like laying down and smelling it, going to sleep.  I shook my head and kept walking.  She was running here, as I could smell her scent on her footprints stronger.  Nutmeg, cinnamon.

Aghh she might as well be a human version of Christmas.

Then she went up a tree.  I look up.  Gone.

I smelled other scents.  More like wolves.

Spruce, birch, oak.  But their scents were mixed closely with human scents, like oranges, coffee.

Strange.

I look around, and continued following her smell.  Then I frowned.  Someone sprayed air-freshener, and it was too thick, her smell disapearing.

Gasoline was too strong to be covered, and I could smell that still.

Damn air fresheners.

"Ron!  Get back here," shouted Mr. Clark from a distance.

With nothing much I could do, I trailed back with my tail lowered in between my legs.

*Yaasss a kidnapping for once!  Pats myself on the back for writing it.

Hehe, and also, Ron has a new hate of air freshners!

And Kiri will finally have time for her favorite hobby: sleeping!

Cya,

- This anonymous author

Word count in total: 1046*