Chapter One: The Boy, and the Old Friend

I didn't think I could wait! Tonight was the night. I'm seeing Demi Lovato live for the first time since her rehab. She's so encouraging. I just wish I would listen.

As I jumped out of the shower, I threw my razor blade in the trash, cleaned up my cuts, threw the toilet paper in the toilet and flushed. After I got dressed, did my hair and make up, I covered up my cuts and I was ready.

"Desiree, aren't you gonna eat?" My mom asked while picking up a plate.

"No, thanks mom. I'm too excited to eat." I said as I flashed my huge smile and grabbed a cold water out of the refrigerator.

"You smile just like her, you know?" My mom said while moving my hair away from my face.

"So I've been told." I said as I chuckled and hugged her. She was referring to Demi, everyone said I had the same mouth as her.

My mother kissed me on the forehead an I was out the door. I laid my skateboard on the ground and pushed off. I got tired of being teased on the bus, I was always late when I walked, and my only friend moved. So, I learned how to skateboard.

As I walked down the halls of my high school, names were shouted.

"Emo."

"Bitch"

"Fatty"

"Gorgeous"

Wait... Did someone just say gorgeous?!

"It's Desiree, right?" The voice said.

At least I know who it's talking to.

"Yeah..." I said as I turned around and looked at him.

"Hi, I'm Sam." He said as he smiled and stuck out his hand.

"Hi...?" I said confused as I shook his hand.

"I'm new here, and the principal said that you could show me around."

"Uh, you really shouldn't be talking to me."

"Why? You seem pretty awesome to me."

"Thanks, but you'll get a rep. Then you'll never be popular. I'm not exactly this school's cup of Joe." I said turning around ignoring him and putting books into my locker.

"I don't care about being popular. I never wanna be cool."

I turned around quick only to see that he had stepped closer and was close enough to me that if we flexed our lips at the same time we would be kissing.

"Uh." I said uncomfortably "okay, well in that case.. Where's your locker?" I said smiling

"Right... Here." He said laying his hand on the locker next to mine, still staring into my eyes and smiling.

"Oh... Well you should probably get ready for your first class... Can I see your schedule?"

"Yeah, here." He said stepping back and handing me his schedule.

"Thanks... Alright we have almost every class together.." I said raising one eyebrow looking at his schedule.

"What don't we?" He asked putting books into his locker

"Uhhh... Math." I said handing his schedule back to him.

"The one person in the whole school who doesn't have to take math." He said laughing

"I guess. I finished high school math already. So I don't have to take it until college." I said closing my locker and laughing.

"Oooh, so a smart girl, heh?"