PROLOGUE

- I can't marry you.

Looking into the eyes of this unfeeling man. Bogdan Dubrovsky.

There is only frozen ground in his eyes, and icy blood flows in his veins. Did he really think that I, with my rebellious soul, could belong to him?

Bogdan Vladimirovich doesn't even raise an eyebrow.

He briefly closes a box with an incredibly beautiful ring, which he took out in front of everyone at my father's birthday party.

I understand why he proposed now so that I wouldn't have the opportunity to refuse. But let me be ashamed in front of everyone now, than I will voluntarily become a prisoner of a man for whom I feel nothing. And how can you experience it if we haven't really talked. We haven't even kissed once. We didn't dance together!

- Daughter! What are you doing! - the frightened father grabs me by the elbow. I don't recognize him. I've never seen him like this. Always strict, but fearless, and now in front of a man younger than himself, he behaves like a puppy with his tail between his legs.

"Move away," my would-be fiance orders curtly.

He insistently continues to burn me with an icy stare. We are surrounded by a lot of people. They are all whispering, discussing what happened, not even trying to lower the tone of their voices. Well, let it be, I'm used to whispers behind my back. Ever since I was a child, I knew that people were wondering if I had made my way to the best ballet school with my talent or if my rich father had done everything.

- You could have asked in private, then we would have avoided such an excess.

- Well, why not? You love attention, it's quite natural that you made a show of it, although you were ready to refuse me for a long time.

- It's not like that… I wasn't expecting today.… And anyway, why am I making excuses? I didn't promise him anything.

- Will you state the reason as frankly?

- Now? - I'm looking around at my father's guests.

- Of course.

- But there are people here…

- They didn't bother you when you refused me.

"All right," I shrug, although his gaze sends prickly goosebumps down my body. In all the time he was courting me, he had never looked at me like that. Sometimes I pretended that I didn't exist. He was just demonstrating the standard of living that awaits me with him. But at the same time, he never watched me dance, never asked me anything about my favorite activity.

No, of course, if I were a poor ballerina, like many in our course, I might think about it, but my father provides for me now, ballet will provide for me in the future. I don't want to be sold.

"I'm listening," he turns me on in his gruff, low voice. Always a little intimidating.

"You're old," I say without stopping. - Well, that is, much older than me. We have nothing to talk about. You are not interested in ballet, I am not interested in sports and your criminal dealings. When you're over fifty, I'll only be in the prime of my life. You will want children now, I don't even want to think about them yet. Do you understand?
Is that all?

Is it not enough for him?

- I don't want you. I can't even imagine going to bed with you. I told my father a long time ago that you were not suitable for me, but for some reason he decided that I might be interested in your money. But that's stupid, because my father has plenty of them!  I laugh nervously. – I'm sorry that I didn't meet your expectations.