Chapter 1: An Introduction

Chapter 1    

An Introduction

 Irubbed the steam off, and then looked into the mirror – my eyes. They change to steel gray whenever magic’s around. It’s the easiest way to find out if one’s a wizard.

I really wish I hadn’t found out that I was a wizard. You see, wizards must discover it for themselves. My parents sent me down to Earth – Evangeline and Manuel. Wizard parents are forbidden to keep their children with them up in The Realm, which is what the “wizard world” is called. Obeying the rules, my parents sent me down here with two foster parents that were associated with magic, but not full wizards – those people are called discoverers.

Your real parents must brainwash you in order to send you down to Earth, because like I said, you must find your magic yourself.You can’t remember ever being part of a magical world, and on Earth you are taught that stuff is mythical. I was sent down two years after my brother, Elliot, was sent down. When he figured it out, he was told that it must be kept a secret from me.

If you find your magic at all, it normally happens around the age 10 to 11. But I was an exception. I was 15 when I found out. Those times were confusing – believe me. Things started to happen I couldn’t explain. Wizards have one special element of nature that strengthens them – and one that weakens them. For some people their strength is water, weakness is ice. My strength, I discovered later, is heat. I figured it out so late because I live in Alaska, which does not have much of that. Your parents are allowed to give clues here and there to helping you find your magic, but they wasted all of their hints on Elliot. They weren’t expecting to have a second child. His strength is ice, which explains why we live in Alaska.

I was lucky enough to go on a school field trip to California; we were learning about different countries and their cultures, so my [rather rich] school decided to go to Epcot in Disney Land. That field trip was intense.

 I got angry at my roommate one time, (it was because she turned on the air conditioning, and of course, I loved the heat, it didn’t bother me, obviously, and I wanted to keep it as hot as possible in the room), and I was staring at the ceiling fan while yelling at her, when all of the sudden the light bulb burst, and the fan started rotating faster than it should. No one was there to hit the on button. I’d done that unintentionally.

It wasn’t only that…skill…I found out I have. One time, right after the air conditioning malfunctioned she decided to ignore me because she was mad not only that I got my way, but that it was broken for now and there was nothing she could do about it. She decided to go over to her friend’s hotel room and bring her back to our room. I heard her down the hall and I heard them say my name and laugh. I had no idea what they were saying about me, but I knew it wasn’t nice. Unlucky me, I was paired with the most popular girl in school, Bella, and she was very good at making fun of and humiliating people. I swore I wouldn’t let myself fall under the Bella Constrictor’s traps (which is my nickname I have for her, like a boa constrictor), but like the most, I did and I was embarrassed. I felt like I wanted to disappear, I didn’t want to deal with the crap they were going to give me when they came back into the room. When they came in, Bella asked, “Macy? Ugh, where’d that brat go?”

“I’m right here, you loser,” I replied.

Bella looked around with a scared look in her eye. “Who…who said that? Macy, this isn’t funny!”

Too annoyed to understand her weird joke she was trying to pull, I lifted up my hand and was about to raise it above my head to prove I was right there, when I didn’t see my hand. I was positive it was above my head, but…my hand was…invisible. I instantly put both hands in front of my face. Yep, they were invisible. I silently walked into the bathroom then, (where the AC was on full blast), and I then turned visible.