Chapter 3: The Setup

*Frederick's POV*

Being cautious but curious, Frederick asked, "What is that?" What is he up to this time? wondered Frederick. " If it's another prank, don't include me."

"Why not? When you were younger, you used to love to do pranks on other people," Henry clapped Frederick's shoulder.

Frederick moved away from under Henry's hand and said mock indignantly, " What do you mean?! It's obvious that you were the one that liked doing pranks and you always wanted to drag me down with you!"

"Aw come on Frederick. I know you enjoyed doing pranks with me, even if you got caught 90% of the time."

Frederick chuckled. " Your time outside hasn't changed you one bit has it?"

"What do you think?"

Frederick sighed. "Well, what is your plan?"

"Tonight is Maverick's turn to make the rounds around the castle and town. I found out just today that there is a tower that is said to be haunted. Knowing Maverick, he will most certainly brag about how brave he is. If we could get him to make a vow saying he will go there, we can take that opportunity to teach him a lesson.  I plan to scare the wits out of him and knock some sense into him," Henry told Frederick.

"Ok. But how do you plan to do that? All that information with no–"

"I am getting there Frederick! Just wait until I get there," Henry cut in. "Trust me, I know how I can get him to vow he will go to the tower tonight. As for the plan..." his voice trailed off.

    "Yeah? What about the plan?" Frederick asked, curiosity getting the best of him. He knew he would regret asking.

    Henry grinned and beckoned Frederick to lean forward.

Frederick obeyed.

Cupping his hand to Frederick's ear, he started to whisper. " I plan to..."

Frederick listened intently. After Henry took his hand away Frederick looked at him. "What does your plan have to do with me?" 

"Isn't it obvious? We have all that we need to execute this plan except a ghost," Henry informed Frederick.

"I am guessing you need me to play the ghost, right?" Frederick asked.

"You got it," Henry said enthusiastically.

"But why me?"

"Because you are very good at screaming like a girl, which, I tell you, I could not do. You are the perfect candidate. You should be proud to be able to do such a feat."

"Do I really have to?"

"Of course, you have to! He just insulted you for goodness sake! We must regain our honor! Please? Frederick?"

Frederick looked at Henry's eyes which were pleading for him to say yes. He sighed. "Fine. Only for you."

Henry yelled, "Yess! Frederick! You won't regret it!"

Frederick replied, "I already do regret my decision."

"Meet me at midnight, ok?" Henry asked.

"Ok," Frederick agreed.

With that both boys went into the dining hall where all kinds of foods were served: Fish with sour cream, vegetables fried in oil, and roast lamb with boiled vegetables were some of the dishes served. After they had eaten, the guests went to the ballroom where they spent the rest of the night.

From the corner of his eye, Frederick saw Henry approach Marian who was a good friend of Henry. He saw Marian and Henry talking over a glass of wine. She was pretty in her royal blue gown and shining pieces of jewelry stuck in her hair. Frederick turned his attention to the scene before him. Some people danced, others talked, and still, others occupied themselves with more eating.

From afar, Frederick spotted Maverick drinking merrily, surrounded by a group of men his age. They were being a little rowdy as they made dirty jokes with each other. He saw Marian approach Maverick and they started talking.

Frederick inched closer. He heard Marian ask, "Are you patrolling tonight?"

"Yes I am!" He said loudly as he held the glass of wine in the air. He brought it to his lips clumsily.

"Oh, will you be the one?"

"Be the one?" Maverick rolled his eyes crazily. He leaned forward and touched her chin with his finger.

She recoiled and exclaimed angrily, "Not in that way! I mean, will you be the first person to go in the tower?"

"Tower? What tower?" He stumbled a bit but managed to stabilize himself.

"The tower that is said to be haunted. I heard even the bravest knights don't dare to go close to it at night," she said innocently.

"Not one?"

"Yeah, not even one."

"Just a tower," he slurred his words.

"Yeah, I don't know why everyone is so scared, so I wondered if you would be any different from the rest of those cowards."

"I know right? Don't w-worry," he stumbled again but caught himself. "I am d-different from e-everyone e-else. Besides, for a pretty g-girl l-like you, I c-can do anything," he replied as he used his thumb to point to his chest confidently.

"Really? You're just talking. You don't really mean it. There is no way you would actually go into the tower," Marian challenged.

"I will! I promise you, I will go into the tower!"

"Really?"

"Yes! I will go in tonight! You just watch! I vow on my life I will!" He bellowed loudly.

Frederick smirked as he moved away from Marian. So that was your idea, Henry? That was brilliant. Frederick found a seat and leaned against the wall as he waited for midnight.