Untitled Part 58: Secrets of Wind Valley

In the past few days, Aria had been forced to stay in a small room. Her shoulder injury had kept her lying on a piece of animal hide for over ten days. Whenever Neven or Alexander visited her, she would prop her head up with her other arm to chat, complaining that her body was becoming stiff.

Alexander visited rarely because Aria, with her bare upper body, always had to cover herself up. In contrast, she was much more at ease with Neven, accustomed to the subtle nature of their relationship.

Aria squashed a creeping damp insect with the sole of her shoe. She was curious how there could be so many of these creatures in the Aether people's houses, hiding in dark corners and even daring to crawl on her at night. Previously, with her injured shoulder immobilized, she had to endure their rampant intrusion.

But now, she felt significantly better and no longer grimaced in pain. However, Aria was nearly going mad with boredom. Even seeing Neven, she would complain endlessly, "I can't take it anymore. When can I leave this utterly boring room? You don't care about what I think at all. Every time I ask to see the Aether territory, you refuse."

Neven was applying green mud to her shoulder, his calm tone carrying a habitual indifference. "Of course, I care about your thoughts, but that's a different matter. The Aether people are dull and boring, nothing interesting to see. This room is far more entertaining."

"I feel my shoulder is much better. I can sense the new flesh," Aria said lazily, lying on the hide. She disliked the Aether woman who applied the medicine, always speaking ominously about death and frightening scales. The conversation never strayed from those topics. Eventually, Neven guessed her thoughts and took over the task himself.

"I still can't understand why I have scales. They look so cold and bothersome," Aria sighed, looking at the scales on her hand.

Neven set down the medicine jar, taking her hand with the scales and examining it closely. "They do look cold and bothersome..."

"You hate them?" Aria muttered, feeling both disappointed and surprised that he would say such a thing.

Neven gently turned her over by the arm, making this the first time since her injury that Aria could lie on her back.

"I lied," Neven said with a smile.

Aria glared at him fiercely.

Neven propped himself up with his hands on either side of her, smirking as he lowered himself close enough to kiss her. The atmosphere became instantly awkward, and Aria's face flushed. She guessed what Neven was about to do. Embarrassed, she tried to pull up the blanket beside her but couldn't, as one corner was pinned under his knee.

"Why are you shy with me?" he asked in a low voice.

"My shoulder isn't healed yet," Aria reminded him.

"The skin has healed. I've been applying medicine every day," he said with a smile.

Neven's mischievous smile made Aria's heart race. Her face grew redder, her shallow breaths heating the air, while Neven's breath was steady and calm.

His serene gaze rippled with sparkling waves as he breathed deeply, finally lowering his lips to hers.

Aria didn't have the courage to refuse him, nor the strength to push him away. She felt it was a passionate love, suppressed in tranquility, a love that enveloped her in its care while making her fall deeper into it. With every throb of her heart, boiling blood surged through her veins.

When their lips finally parted, Aria shyly pulled up the blanket to cover her upper body. Neven stroked her flushed cheek, smiling.

"My life is destined to be short, unlike yours, which can last forever. Aria, remember my love. My love for you will never fade from this world," he said deeply. "If I grow old, I don't want you to die. You can fall in love with someone else, as long as you keep a corner of your heart for me."