Chapter Nine

When his lips pulled away from hers, Ruby felt her breath pull away with him. She met his gaze, a light glowing behind his dark, stormy eyes. "Hi" a small giggle escaping her "Hi" he brushes a strand of hair from her face. "Well Hello" Nessa lets out in her best "Mrs. Doubtfire" voice, causing a hardy chuckle from Asher and Ruby. "Okay, well, now that I know all is well, I'm gonna let you two horny kids get on with your evening." She leans closer to Ruby as she makes her way to the door, "Call me later and tell me every inch of detail about tonight, love you." She gives her a quick peck on the cheek before leaving. Asher takes Ruby's hand "Shall we head out as well?" he bows slightly as he motions his hand towards the door. Her heart is pounding but with excitement for once, not fear. "Yes! Let me grab my bag." He helps her kill the lights in the shop on the way out of the door.

He opens the door of his rental car for her and helps her in. "Do you like French cuisine? I heard about this fantastic little spot just outside of town, what do you think?" his hand appearing on her knee, it sends shivers through her. "I think that sounds amazing, thank you." She smiles warmly at him, her hand resting on top of his. "So, Dean, do you have family? Are you parents still with us? Siblings?" she laces her fingers with his as she rests her head back. He lifted her hand to him, placing a small kiss before returning it to her leg "I'm one of three, I have two sisters, Ellie and Annabelle. Annabelle is two years older and Ellie is a year younger. My mom and dad are still madly in love with each other after 39 years of marriage, it can be obnoxious at time" he chuckles "they're the type of parents that would fully mock their children for being "grossed out" by them sharing a kiss or a dance while making breakfast. Their 40th is in July, my sisters and I have been planning a surprise family trip to Hawaii, I'll have to let them know to plan for two more." He rubs his thumb over the top of her hand. She turns her head to him. "Oh, has more family decided to go as well?" her eyes studying the soft curves of his features. "No, you and Nes, you'll both be coming along as well. So we have to make sure to add two more for activities, reservations and an additional room for her." His tone was almost cheerful.

Ruby doesn't know what to say, his "plan for the future" sounds sweet and incredible but also makes her nervous. Dylan used to talk about their future like that. "That all sounds so amazing but maybe we should just take this one day at a time..." her words make him pull over the car. "What do you mean?" her words sting in his chest. Ruby lowers her head, her words soft. "It's just that you live in Oregon and I know you'll be leaving soon and yes, we can try long distance but who knows how that will go." she abruptly stops talking. Why does she do this? Why does she have to "doomsday" it before it even has a chance to be anything? She sighs "I'm sorry.... You put all this thought and effort into tonight and I'm letting my big mouth get in the way. I'm very sorry Dean." His worried expression studies her face trying to understand. He leans towards her, taking both hands in one of his as the other lifts her chin. "I'm sorry that I'm overwhelming you by talking about the future. But I want this Ruby, I want you. We can take as much time as you need for you to believe that. We can go slow, whatever you need, it's yours." he leans in and softly kisses her. "Okay?" Her mind goes quiet when he kisses her, like he just kissed her worry away "okay" she slowly nods. Her eyes searching for his motive, she's scared to let her guard down, to believe his words. Dylan used to praise her and talk about their future together, look how that wound up.

He was trying his best to give her some time to process and quiet her mind. All he can think about is her lips and kissing her again...and again. He kept peeking over at her, watching the subtle changes in her expressions as she worked through thoughts. He was relieved when he opened the door to her shop and saw her standing there. He had his answer but still had to ask, just to make sure. Maybe it was a good thing that Nes was there, it encouraged him to keep his urges in check, which he needed. His heart raced as he closed the space between them, his hands holding her beautiful face as he finally got a small taste of her. He looked forward to tasting more of her soon. 

After a slightly awkward and quiet ride, they pulled up to a very modern looking tan building. It has black awnings with the restaurant's name "La Nuit" written in silver cursive. After checking the car with the valet they were escorted to a private room in the back corner of the main dining room. Soft gentle light fills the room, there are two waiters dressed in black and white tuxedos near their table waiting to pull out their seats. Asher insists on pulling out Ruby's seat himself. They sit at a small square table with a black tablecloth, silver charger plates and napkins and small off white votive candles. Asher has a bouquet of shimmering lilies waiting that are set atop of a box of gourmet chocolates, all tied in a black lace bow. She was speechless, it was beautiful "How did you do all of this?" her face was glowing and blushed. He just gazed at her for a moment, taking in the wonder and excitement in her reaction, "I made some calls..." he smirked as he pulled out her seat for her. As the waiter went over the specials she kept smelling the lilies, they were one of her favorite flowers. After drinks are ordered, Ruby starts to study the menu, looking for what dish calls to her. As she's reading she peeks up over the top of the menu and is met by his gray eyes watching her, "Hi..." she says with a small, quick tone. "Hi" his voice low and smooth, she looks around for a moment before returning her gaze to him, "Everything ok?" her brows softly dipping with worry. He takes her hand, placing an extended kiss on her wrist before returning it to her "Perfect...absolutely perfect, I'm just deciding what I want to...eat" he licks his lips, his eyes trailing her "it all looks so, delicious and I am feeling quite...ravenous." a devilish smile crossing his beautiful mouth. She feels her face go hot with his words, her body tingles and aches at his secret request. She tries to stay calm, she doesn't know how to respond, seduction was not something she was versed in so she just says the first thing that comes to her mind. "I know me either, it all sounds so delicious." She hears Nes dying over that comment in her mind. She would tell Ruby to flirt back!