14:The start

I have now been under the masked man's care for three days. During these three days, I have not seen him at all, but he has assigned me three shadow guards, as they call them, and two maid servants named Lilac and Rose. It's ironic, isn't it? They were named after flowers.

"Miss, do you want to go down for dinner, or would you like to wash up first?" Lilac asked."No, Lilac, thank you. I'd like to rest early, so I'll wash up and go to bed," I replied weakly."Are you not feeling well, miss?" Rose entered my bedroom, arranging a new set of clothes that had been brought in earlier.

"No, I'm fine. It's just that I really don't like eating dinner," I said.The two of them exchanged worried glances, and as if understanding each other's unspoken concern, they both looked at me and said in unison, "Please excuse us for a brief moment, miss. We will be back." They left in a hurry.

What's up with those two?

I prepared to take a bath, but only a few minutes after they left, I heard a knock on my door."I apologize, young madam, but may I enter your chambers?" a man's voice called out softly.At his words, two of the three shadow guards appeared on my balcony.

Jeez! These guys really know how to give me a jump scare!

"Ah, Sir Lynus, may I request to speak with the young madam for a brief moment?" the man spoke to someone outside my door.

There was no response, but then the two guards showed up at my door and opened it.It still amazes and puzzles me how this is possible. They mentioned something about a setup portal that allows the shadow guards to come and go as they please, but Lilac said it wasn't in my room. Only a few people are allowed in my room.

So far, a total of seven people have entered my room since I began my stay here: the masked man, the doctor, Shifu, Lilac, and the three shadow guards. I suppose the guard named Lynus is the one who accompanied the man who spoke just now. So, he makes it the eighth person.

"Young madam, I apologize for intruding, but may I know what you would like to eat?" The man looked at me apologetically but seemed nervous."Uh... as I've said, I'm not really into eating dinner, so please don't bother cooking for me," I replied.When I said that, everyone fell silent, and I saw worry in their eyes."Oh! It's normal; I've been like this for a long time, so really, don't worry. I'm not sick. I just don't usually eat dinner.""Are—are you sure, young madam?" the man asked."Yes, absolutely sure. So, please, just relax and let me have my rest," I said with a reassuring smile.

They still wore worried expressions, even the shadow guards, who rarely show emotions, displayed concern.

"You guys really need to stop making a big deal out of this. I'm not sick. I'm okay; I just want to rest early."

I said again, trying to be reassuring.

But as night fell and the house grew silent, a strange sensation began to creep over Amaya. Her stomach growled with an intense hunger, and she felt an unsettling restlessness. Her consciousness began to blur, and before she knew it, She was sleepwalking through the halls.

It was the start of everyone's nightmare.