One more day

One more day.

If you had one more day to live, what would you do?

Would you spend it on the ice, feeling the sensation of the wind hitting your face, the cracking sound of the ice right after a jump one last time?

Or would you spend the day with your family, with your parents and your sister, sharing your last intimate moments with them?

You told me to wait one more day. You made me promise to wait for you for one more day.

When we were 12, my birthday happened to fall on your competition day.

"I can't help it, there's a competition! I'll celebrate it with you the day after, alright?" You said. So I waited for you.

You brought back a gold medal after the competition, so your parents brought you out to celebrate the next day. I spent the day busying myself on the piano so I could tell you that I hadn't spent the whole day waiting for you.

When we were 14, we were assigned to do a school project together.

You were busy with training, so I waited for you to finish training so we could work on the project.

"I'm really tired, can we do this tomorrow? I still have homework to complete..." You said. So I waited for you.

But you had training everyday to prepare for the World Junior Championships and we never got down to do the project together. So I did it myself. You apologised countless times for it after that, but I would have forgiven you even if you didn't.

When we were 15, the school organised a prom.

The boys were supposed to submit the name of the girl they wanted to invite to prom, and we were supposed to accept one invite if we received any.

"I'll send it in tomorrow... I'll submit your name so accept it, okay?" You said. So I waited for you.

But I still didn't see your invitation on the namelist on the last day. So I accepted somebody else's invitation. You got angry at me and we didn't talk for a month, until the day you found out I didn't apply for the same high school as you.

"Why didn't you apply for Tohoku High?" You asked.

"I thought you didn't want to see me anymore."

"You silly girl..." You shook your head and hugged me.

When we were 17, I invited you to my piano recital rehearsals.

"I'll go for the one tomorrow! Right after skating practice, I promise!" You said. So I waited for you.

But the earthquake hit the very next day, followed by the tsunami. I stared helplessly at the collapsing studio while trying to escape.

I heard you had safely arrived at the evacuation centre, and I was relieved.

The collapsed ceiling had fallen on my right arm, permanently impairing my fingers' motor control. My recital was inevitably cancelled.

You made me promise to go for physiotherapy and play for your programs one day. So I did.

When we were 20, you won the Olympics.

You returned to Japan receiving a hero's welcome from everyone.

You returned to Sendai, with flowers presented to you.

You returned to our neighbourhood, and the housewives who lived down the road praised you so much you felt embarrassed.

You knocked on my door, but there was no answer. You knocked again, when my mother called you from behind in surprise.

"Is she at home?" You asked.

If you had one more day to live, what would you do?

After you left for Canada, I spent every day at physiotherapy while waiting for you to come back. Now, my motor control is back in full condition. But it seems like God had played a trick on me, taking away the rest of my time away.

I don't know how long will this 'one more day' last, but I'll wait.

I don't know how long I can wait for, but I'll stay awake as long as I can until you're back.

Because if I had one more day to live, I'll spend it fulfilling my promise with you.

---

(leave a comment/vote if you liked it ;w; sorry if it was kinda odd)