Prologue

Sirens blared at the sidelines, the two children shifting tensely as the officers grabbed them from the passenger seats—or at least what was left of it. The car was flipped over, with the front of it impaled by the bough of a tree as it had rammed directly into its trunk.
They were unwilling to let go of each other, but were desperately pried away from their hold on one another in the car. Scratches littered their porcelain skin, blood dribbling from the boy's head as his sister held her bloody arm tightly. The farther away they went from their parents, the more they started to hyperventilate, anxiously waiting for an officer or a firefighter to come and save them just as they had done with them. But no one moved. They struggled in the men's grip when they noticed nobody was going immediately to help their parents and rather placing them on stretchers they had waiting for them.

"H-Hey! Otou-san and Kaa-san are still in there! You—augh!" The boy cried as they laid him down vertically on the gurney, his eyes darting around frantically in search of his sister and parents despite the lightheadedness he was feeling. "..They're still over there! You-You have to help them!"

The lady at his side shook her head deplorably, her eyes holding nothing but sympathy and regret when looking at him. "They're doing their best right now, but you have to stay still, okay? You got a bit hurt, so just lay down for a bit, alright. For your sister. She's in the ambulance right in front of us, so don't make her worry too much."

He swallowed hard and nodded, his vision slowly getting bleary before fluttering his eyes closed as the woman gently ran her hands through his dark, tousled locks, luring him to a light sleep. "Oh..okay..."

"Poor things..."

"Their parents probably won't survive this.."

"Have you contacted the hospital yet?!"

"The boy seems to be relatively fine, what about the girl?"

"Have you found out their names yet?"

Words slowly become loud buzzing sounds, pounding at his head in the background as his eyes shot open, staring at his bloodied hands. His breathing got heavier and his heart started racing faster and faster and faster, quietly trembling as he waited for somebody to come and wake him up from whatever nightmare he slipped into. That everything was but a mere illusion, a transient moment which will end when they tell him "They can't hurt you. And they never will." That the moment he wakes up, they will disappear.

"...But...did you see it?"