Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tᴡᴇɴᴛʏ Tᴡᴏ: A Cᴀɴᴅʟᴇ Tᴏ Tʜᴇ Sᴜɴ

Faith and I descend to the basement, navigating the hallway that leads to Mateo's safe room. With a few quick taps, I input the code, and the sturdy metal door unlocks with a click. We slip inside, and I ensure the door is firmly closed behind us.

The safe room was built for the crew, just in case we ever needed to hole up somewhere secure. It has everything you could need - a cozy living room with a plush couch and a big-screen TV, a fully stocked kitchen, and even a bedroom with a very comfortable bed. Of course, Luis took some precautions when he set it up for Mateo. The gas is turned off, so he can't light anything on fire, and the place has been swept for any potential weapons. The TV is restricted to certain channels, and there's a Blu-ray player loaded up with movies, so Mateo has some other form entertainment, but no way to communicate with the outside world.

Mateo is sitting on the couch, fully engrossed in his video game, but he looks up when we enter. "Hey," he says, giving us a little wave.

Faith bounces over to him, a big grin on her face. "Hi, I'm Faith!" she exclaims, plopping down on the couch next to him.

Mateo smiles back. "Nice to meet you, Faith. I'm Mateo."

"We thought you could use some company," I say.

"Definitely," he replies.

I settle down on the floor, and start rifling through the stack of movies sitting next to the TV. "You like horror movies?" I say casually, glancing back over my shoulder at Mateo.

"Yeah! Those are my favorite."

I grin, holding up a particularly gory-looking DVD case. "Mine too."

"Mine too!" Faith pipes up.

As an hour of the horror movie plays on, the screams and shrieks from the TV filling the room, I look over at Faith. She's curled up on the couch, fast asleep, her little face peaceful and serene despite the terror emanating from the screen. 

I turn to Mateo. "I need to put Faith to bed," I murmur, gesturing towards her. "But before I go, I wanted to ask you something."

Mateo nods. "Sure, what's up?"

"Do you know where Nicolas hangs out or does business?"

Mateo's brow furrows in thought, and he's quiet for a moment before answering. "He owns a bar in Chihuahua, uses it as a front to sell drugs. I've been there a few times to help him out, when my dad needed an extra set of hands."

Mateo continues, leaning back against the couch cushions. "He's pretty much always there on Saturdays. That's when the place is busiest, lots of people coming in and out."

I digest this, my mind already whirring with the possibilities. "How busy are we talking?"

"Very busy." Mateo confirms.

"Cartel or civilians?"

"Both."

I nod slowly, a plan already starting to take shape in my mind.

︻デ═一

I gently close the door to Faith's bedroom, a soft sigh escaping my lips as I make my way to the living room. Exhausted, I collapse onto the couch, my body sinking into the cushions as I let my eyes drift shut. All I want is just a few moments of peace, a chance to catch my breath and gather my thoughts.

But apparently, even that is too much to ask for. A knock at the door shatters the stillness, and I groan in annoyance, my eyes snapping open. I drag myself up off the couch and over to the door.