Chapter 7

The rain continued through the night, a steady drumming on the roof of Dakota's small room in the hotel. The storm outside seemed to mirror the storm of emotions inside her. Since that moment with Ellis in the rain, she hadn't been able to think about anything else. The way he looked at her, the feel of his hand on her cheek—it had all left her restless and longing for more.

As she lay in bed, staring at the ceiling, Dakota tried to calm her racing thoughts. She knew she should be focused on finding a way out of this town, on surviving another day in this twisted place. But all she could think about was Ellis—his smile, his touch, the warmth in his eyes that made her feel safe and seen.

Sleep evaded her, and when morning finally came, Dakota was still wide awake. The storm had passed, leaving the town in a muted gray light, the air heavy with the lingering scent of rain. She got up and dressed quickly, eager to see Ellis, to talk to him about what had happened the day before.

Downstairs, the hotel was quiet, most of the residents still in their rooms, recovering from another night of fear and tension. Dakota slipped outside, breathing in the fresh, rain-soaked air. She made her way to Ellis, her steps quick and sure.

She found him on the porch, repairing the door that had been damaged in the storm. He looked up as she approached, his expression brightening at the sight of her. "Morning, Dakota," he called out, setting his tools aside. "You're up early."

"I couldn't sleep," she admitted, her voice soft. "I've been thinking about yesterday... about us."

Ellis's eyes darkened slightly, and he nodded, as if he had been expecting this conversation. "Me too," he said, stepping closer. "There's something here, Dakota, something I haven't felt in a long time. I can't stop thinking about you."

Dakota's heart skipped a beat at his words. She reached out, taking his hand in hers. "I feel the same way, Ellis. I don't know what this is, or where it's going, but I don't want to ignore it anymore."

His grip tightened around her hand, his gaze intense. "I don't want to ignore it either," he murmured, his voice low and filled with emotion. "But this town... it's dangerous. We have to be careful."

"I know," she whispered, stepping closer until they were inches apart. "But that doesn't change how I feel."

For a moment, they stood there in silence, the weight of their unspoken feelings hanging heavy in the air. Ellis reached up, gently brushing a strand of hair from her face, his touch sending a shiver down her spine.

"Come inside," he said finally, his voice barely audible. "We can talk... and figure this out."

Dakota nodded, her heart pounding as she followed him inside. The hotel was warm, the soft light filtering through the windows casting a golden glow over everything. Ellis led her to his room, where they sat down together on the couch, their knees touching as they faced each other.

"What do we do now?" Dakota asked, her voice trembling slightly. "I want to be with you, Ellis, but... I'm scared."

Ellis reached out, taking both of her hands in his. "I'm scared too," he admitted, his voice low. "But I don't want to let that fear keep us apart. We're stronger together, Dakota. We can face whatever comes our way."

Dakota's breath caught in her throat at his words, and she felt a warmth spread through her chest. She leaned in closer, her heart racing as Ellis's eyes darkened with the same desire she felt. "Then let's not waste any more time," she whispered.

Ellis didn't need any more encouragement. He closed the distance between them, capturing her lips in a kiss that was both tender and full of the pent-up longing they had both been holding back. Dakota melted into him, her hands sliding up to tangle in his hair as the kiss deepened.

Time seemed to stand still as they lost themselves in each other. Dakota felt like she was drowning in the sensation of his lips on hers, his hands roaming over her body, igniting a fire that burned hotter with every touch. Ellis's kisses grew more urgent, more demanding, and Dakota responded with equal fervor, her body pressing against his as the last of her reservations melted away.

Ellis pulled back, his breath ragged as he looked down at her, his eyes filled with a mix of desire and tenderness. "Are you sure?" he asked, his voice hoarse. "We can take this slow, Dakota. I don't want to rush you."

Dakota shook her head, her heart pounding in her chest. "I'm sure," she whispered, her voice trembling with anticipation. "I want this... I want you, Ellis."

His lips curled into a small, relieved smile, and he leaned down to kiss her again, this time slower, more deliberate. Every touch, every kiss, sent waves of heat coursing through Dakota's body, leaving her breathless and trembling beneath him.

Their movements became more urgent, more frantic, as they gave in to the desire that had been building for so long. Dakota gasped as Ellis's hands and lips explored her body, her mind a haze of pleasure and need. She clung to him, her nails digging into his back as the intensity of their connection reached its peak.

When it was over, they lay tangled together on the couch, their breaths coming in ragged gasps as they slowly came down from the high of their shared passion. Ellis held her close, his hand gently stroking her hair as they lay in comfortable silence, the only sound the distant rumble of thunder and the steady rhythm of their hearts.

For the first time since she'd arrived in the town, Dakota felt a sense of peace, a warmth that spread through her entire being. She turned her head to look at Ellis, finding him already watching her, his expression soft and content.

"Are you okay?" he asked, his voice low and filled with concern.

Dakota smiled, reaching up to trace the line of his jaw with her fingertips. "I'm more than okay," she replied, her voice filled with a quiet joy. "That was... incredible."

Ellis's lips curled into a smile, and he leaned down to kiss her softly, the gentleness of the gesture a stark contrast to the intensity they had just shared. "I'm glad," he murmured against her lips. "I've wanted this... wanted you, for a long time."

Dakota's heart swelled at his words, and she pulled him closer, burying her face in the crook of his neck. "I'm glad I'm here," she whispered, her voice barely audible.

As they lay together in the quiet aftermath of their shared moment, Dakota felt a deep sense of connection with Ellis, something that went beyond the physical. In a town filled with darkness and danger, they had found something beautiful, something worth fighting for.

And as the storm continued to rage outside, Dakota knew that whatever challenges lay ahead, she wouldn't have to face them alone. Ellis was here, with her, and that was enough.

For now, at least, they had each other.