I- Morning ♡

If I were a color, I’d choose black. Yeah, I mean that shade that sends shivers down your spine.

Black represents a mix of all the primary colors. And for me, it’s a blend of all my emotions.

My feelings have coalesced into one. Just one feeling. One shell to guard me from the world’s misfortunes. One color that gives me comfort.

Some might think I see myself as different from everyone else, but… No. I’m just special.

Just special…

I wake up abruptly. I think I just had another nightmare. As usual.

I massage my temples, trying to remember what woke me up. There's not a hint of sunlight in my room. I attempt to go back to sleep, staring into the void. Suddenly, my throat feels dry.

I get out of bed and head to the kitchen for a glass of water. I place my feet on the cold floor and slowly walk to the door. I open it and descend the stairs, heading toward the kitchen. Once there, I open the cupboard where the glasses are kept. I grab the first one I see, quickly fill it with water from the bottle, and take a sip. I glance at the kitchen clock. It's barely lit, but I can still make out that it’s 4:18 AM. I sigh, realizing I'll be exhausted for school. But thinking about it, it’s not too bad. I’m not leaving Emma alone. I head back to my room when I hear a noise in the hallway. I look in the direction of the sound and see my little sister, Cassidy, standing there, half-asleep. I let out a small sigh.

Me: “What’s up? Shouldn’t you be sleeping?”

Cassidy furrows her brow and yawns.

Cassidy: “Well, you’re awake, so why not me?”

I chuckle and place my hand on her head.

Me: “Because I’m 16 and you’re 11. Enjoy your energy and youth.” I smile a bit more. “Don’t be like me.”

Cassidy puffs out her cheeks and pushes my hand away. She looks me in the eye before sighing.

Cassidy: “I’m not a kid anymore!”

She looks at the floor and heads back to her room. I follow her up the stairs, but she’s already closed her door. I smile slightly before returning to my room. I run my hand through my hair as I look at myself in the mirror. I observe my tired reflection, then take a few steps to my bed and wait for the time to pass. I lie down, closing my eyes as my eyelids grow heavy.

----2 hours later----

I jolt awake. I must have dozed off... At least time went by quickly. I hurriedly check the time and see it’s 6:10 on my silver clock. Classes start at 8, so I have some time. I look at the ceiling, then my gaze shifts to my desk where some photos are displayed. One shows Cassidy, Dad, and me, all smiling. It’s from two years ago, but it still makes me smile... I won’t see him for now... I sigh, realizing I’m still lounging in bed. I slowly get up, sighing again before heading to the bathroom. I leave my room and shuffle to the bathroom, dragging my feet as usual. I step inside.

----30 minutes later----

I exit the bathroom with wet hair and wrapped in a towel. Cassidy emerges from her room, already dressed. She looks at me with a naive smile.

Cassidy: “Riri, you’re still in a towel?” She laughs a bit. “Shouldn’t you hurry?”

I smile seeing her tease me.

Me: “I’m not done yet; I’m getting dressed.” I chuckle. “Aren’t you going to school without fixing your hair?”

Cassidy, brimming with confidence, meets my gaze and slides her hand through her dark hair. She smiles slightly and looks down. She hesitates a bit before speaking.