Chapter 4: A Kingdom in Crisis

The palace halls were eerily silent as Lara made her way to her father's chambers. The message had come suddenly, a frantic servant bursting into her room with news that made her blood run cold—her father, the king, had fallen gravely ill.
Lara's heart pounded in her chest as she rushed through the corridors, her mind a whirl of fear and disbelief. Just that morning, her father had seemed fine—strong, determined, the way he had always been. How could he have fallen ill so quickly? As she approached the door to her father's chambers, she heard the low murmur of voices inside. She didn't wait to be announced, pushing the door open with trembling hands. The sight that greeted her made her heart drop.Her father, King Edmund, lay on the grand bed, his once robust figure now frail and motionless. The color had drained from his face, his skin pale and clammy. The room was filled with physicians and advisors, their faces grim as they whispered among themselves. Her mother, Queen Isolde, sat beside the bed, her usually composed demeanor shattered, tears streaming down her face.Lara's breath caught in her throat as she stumbled forward, falling to her knees beside the bed. "Father!" she cried out, her voice breaking. "Father, no, please..."Queen Isolde looked up at her daughter, her own grief mirrored in Lara's anguished eyes. "Lara..." she whispered, reaching out to her.But Lara couldn't focus on anything but the lifeless form of her father. She grabbed his hand, cold and unresponsive, and clung to it as if she could somehow will life back into him. "What happened?" she demanded, her voice trembling with desperation. "How... how did this happen?"The physicians exchanged uneasy glances, and one of them, an older man with a solemn expression, stepped forward. "It was sudden, Your Highness. The king complained of chest pains earlier in the day, and within hours... his condition deteriorated rapidly. We... we did everything we could.""No!" Lara's voice cracked with the force of her grief, tears streaming down her face. "No, this can't be happening! He was fine! He was fine this morning!"She looked up at her mother, searching for answers, for some explanation that could make sense of the nightmare unfolding before her. But Queen Isolde's tear-streaked face held only sorrow and despair."My dear," Queen Isolde whispered, her voice choked with emotion, "he's gone."Lara shook her head in denial, refusing to believe the words. "No... no, he can't be... He can't be dead!" She buried her face in her father's chest, her sobs wracking her body. "Father, please... come back..."The room was heavy with grief, the once powerful king now reduced to a lifeless shell. Lara's world crumbled around her as the reality of her father's death sank in. How could this have happened? How could he be taken from them so suddenly?In the back of her mind, a dark thought began to take root, one that filled her with a different kind of fear—a suspicion that this was not a natural illness, but something more sinister. But for now, the overwhelming pain of loss consumed her, leaving no room for anything else.Lara clung to her father's body, her heart breaking as the tears flowed unchecked. She had lost her father, her protector, and the kingdom had lost its king. And in that moment, as the weight of her new reality pressed down on her, Lara felt more alone than ever before.