5: Unwanted Show

"Nanon?"

Nanon turned his face and found Namtan approaching him. He tried to smile even though he was pretty sure it would look very strange. However, Namtan returned his smile with a bit of confusion and question marks.

"I should have brought a comb to straighten your hair," he said as he sat next to Nanon, on the back porch of the men's hut. "I told ya, you have to learn from Ohm to take care of your hair," she added.

Nanon smiled. Spontaneously, he ran his fingers through his messy hair. Before Namtan's arrival, he was busy thinking of a way to find Tu and had not found a solution until now. In fact, his head throbbed with dizziness the more he tried to map out all the possibilities he was drawing out. Maybe Namtan's arrival was a sign for him to rest his mind for a moment.

"Not much to bother you today?"

"I'm glad I can answer that question as a 'yes'." She looked down at the grass between her and Nanon's feet. Then, her gaze found Nanon's outstretched hand, she snatched it. Nanon let her even though she wanted to keep his dirty hands away from Namtan. He just remembered that he hadn't cleaned himself since returning from the forest. Dust clumped on his hands, clothes, and hair. It's getting even dirtier because the dust from his hair must be stuck to the palm of his hand which Namtan was holding.

However, Namtan didn't seem to care. Instead she pulled off his scarf, using it to clean Nanon's hands. Her movements were so gentle, so careful. Nanon watched carefully as Namtan wiped between his fingers. The dust stuck to his hands quickly moved, turning her red scarf brown. She ended the activity by intertwining his fingers between Nanon's.

"I heard about it from Ohm," she said suddenly as he shifted his gaze to Nanon.

Nanon, who was caught watching her, was a little surprised. His reaction earned a smile from Namtan. He couldn't put together any words to respond, other than, "You knew."

"Yes. And I know you're still blaming yourself, no matter what Ohm firmly assured you that it wasn't your fault," replied Namtan without looking away for a second. Seeing that Nanon was acting silly, only able to stare and stupidly expect the person he was talking to to understand whatever he was trying to represent through his eyes, she grabbed Nanon's other palm, holding both of them tightly.

"You know, Nanon. Your friend is really worried about you. I don't know, he thinks of you as the younger brother he never had or the son he hoped for—" Namtan stopped because the end of her sentence made Nanon curve a smile.

"Yeah, I know it's ridiculous," Namtan continued. She couldn't stop the smile that tugged at the corners of her lips. "But, you know, Ohm really came to me, talked about everything, then asked politely for me to meet you. He knows you don't just believe what he says. Sometimes, you're too selfish to trust others, you know. But, ... yeah, the point is ... Ohm sad. Very sad actually. He was devastated by Tu's disappearance. And you are the cause of his other sadness. Your friend didn't say it. However, I'll bet, he thinks he can't bear to see your ugly look, Nanon. that was the reason he finally bothered to come to me, asking me to replace him."

"Thank you, Ohm." The low murmur was a reply to Namtan's long sentences. Those weren't joking words at all because he knew what Namtan said wasn't wrong, just a little dramatic. For Ohm's care in his sometimes unthinkable way, he was very grateful.

"You can tell him directly and I'll take that as... you understand what I'm saying." Namtan rested on both legs. Slowly, she got up. "So, we'd better go to the kitchen. You look like someone who hasn't eaten in a week, Nanon."

***

There were no many hungry people in the kitchen. Shin and the other cooks had even tidied up the island residents' leftover lunch. All that was left in the kitchen were empty benches. You couldn't even smell the food. Even though lunch time had only passed two hours ago. Now, he slightly regretted giving his sandwich to the fat dog he found behind the cottage. Who guarantees there will be food left?