o n e

The sun was just beginning to set over the bustling streets of Montreal, casting a warm glow that made everything seem a little more magical. I glanced at my reflection in a shop window, admiring my outfit—a purple crochet top layered over a tank top, paired with black leggings and my favorite purple Jordan high tops. The gold-rimmed sunglasses perched on my nose, along with the gold rings, bracelets, necklaces, and earrings, added just the right amount of sparkle.

Where are my manners? My name is Ruby, and I'm an aspiring baker-chocolatier. Growing up, I always wanted to do so many things: author books, become a scientist, bake, etcetera. So I thought, why not do it all? To kick off my chocolate business, I'm handmaking a big batch of chocolates for my cousin's wedding in a couple of weeks. Each event has its own exotic flavor (masterfully created by my mom), such as chai, pistachio kunafa, and the pricier flavors like saffron.

My mom sent me out to Bulk Barn to buy the chocolate we'd need, so I decided to walk, considering the weather was quite nice. I had been to Bulk Barn a couple of times before; last summer, I came here to buy chocolate for a grand cake I made for an English project on Othello. I crafted chess pieces and a checkerboard cake inside, with a surprise syrup-filled balloon element. If you've read the play, you know what I mean.

As I strolled down the street, I felt a mix of excitement and nervousness. The wedding was just around the corner, and I wanted everything to be perfect. The chocolates had to be more than just delicious; they had to be memorable.

The bell above the door jingled as I stepped into Bulk Barn, the cool air a welcome relief from the summer heat. The familiar scent of cocoa and spices greeted me, and I grabbed a basket, ready to hunt down the finest ingredients. As I wandered through the aisles, my mind raced with ideas for new flavor combinations and decorative touches.

I made my way to the chocolate aisle, running my hands over the acrylic tops of the containers as I passed them. Ripping off a bag, I took out roughly a kilo of dark, white, and milk Belgian chocolate, loosely knotting each bag before turning around to place them on the scale hung from the ceiling.

When I turned back, I was physically at a loss for words. There stood a boy—an employee—with perfectly shaped features, a well-built physique, and fluffy hair that I was dying to run my hands through. He looked around like a lost puppy while hauling a huge bag of milk chocolate.

I smiled at him. "Bonjour! Do you... need some help with that?"

"Oh no, thanks though! It's my first week here; I wouldn't want to get into trouble for disturbing customers or whatever." His voice was smooth, and I almost passed out, but I had to keep my cool.

"Trust me, you wouldn't be disturbing me. By the looks of it, that's milk couverture... which should go over there." I gestured toward the end of the aisle, feeling a spark of confidence as I led him.

As we walked together, I caught myself staring more than I should have. I noticed the small things—the dimples in his cheeks when he smiled, the way he ran his hand through his hair, and the ease with which he talked about chocolate.

"I'm Luke, by the way," he said, grinning as we reached the designated spot.

"Ruby," I replied, unable to hide my own smile. "So..."

He paused for a moment, then said, "So...?"

We erupted into giggles and I felt my cheeks burn crimson.

Our conversation flowed easily, and I felt a connection that went beyond the chocolate we were discussing.

The hardest part was saying goodbye at the cash register. After I paid for my stuff, I couldn't help but feel like Luke wanted to say something.

"You're a really funny guy. You know that?" I try to prolong this conversation for as long as I possibly can.

"Oh, a really pretty girl said that to me pretty recently...She looks exactly like you, what a coincidence!"

I looked up at him when he said that. I don't think I've ever blushed so much during one hour.

"Luke, I'd say bye to you, but I feel like I'll be seeing you again. Really soon."

"Even if we don't, I'd be seeing you in my dreams..." He added with a wink.

I chuckled and waved as I walked away from the shop. The walk back was painful. He lived rent free in my mind, and I got honked at a couple times because of that. Oops.

Then, the realization kicked in. I should've gotten his number or social media or something! I might never see him again.

I'm so stupid sometimes.

a/n:
what do people put here? comment please I beg you

what do you think of the plot? you bet it's gonna be best friends to lovers!