Childhood heartbreak

Hanni and Minji had been inseparable since childhood, their friendship blossoming over fifteen years of shared laughter, adventures, and secrets. Growing up in the same neighborhood, they were like two sides of a coin, each completing the other in a way that felt almost magical. Hanni was the spark, full of energy and spontaneity, while Minji was the steady, nurturing force, always ready to catch Hanni when she fell.

As they approached their senior year of high school, the dynamics of their relationship began to shift. Minji had been grappling with her feelings for Hanni for quite some time. What started as innocent affection had deepened into a profound love that consumed her thoughts. Every glance, every touch felt electric, and Minji found herself daydreaming about what it would be like to be more than friends with Hanni.

On the last day of summer before school started, Minji decided she could no longer keep her feelings hidden. They sat on the roof of Hanni's house, legs dangling over the edge as they watched the sun dip below the horizon. The sky was painted in hues of pink and orange, and everything felt perfect.

"Hanni," Minji began, her heart racing. "Can I tell you something?"

"Of course! You can tell me anything," Hanni replied, her voice filled with encouragement.

Minji took a deep breath, searching for the right words. "I think I'm in love with you."

The words hung in the air, and for a moment, silence enveloped them. Hanni's smile faltered, her eyes widening in shock. "Minji, I... I didn't know you felt that way."

"I know it's unexpected," Minji continued, her heart pounding. "But I've been feeling this for a while. I just needed to tell you."

Hanni looked away, her expression shifting from surprise to uncertainty. "I care about you so much, but I don't feel the same way. You're like my sister."

Minji felt her heart shatter at the words. "I understand. I just thought..." she faltered, tears threatening to spill from her eyes. "I thought maybe there was a chance."

Hanni reached out, her hand brushing against Minji's. "I don't want to lose you, Minji. You're my best friend."

Minji swallowed hard, forcing a smile despite the pain in her chest. "Yeah, me too." But inside, she felt as if a part of her was lost forever.

In the days that followed, Minji tried to act normal, but everything felt off-kilter. She watched Hanni continue her vibrant life, laughing with new friends and diving into school activities. Each moment Minji saw Hanni smile with someone else felt like a dagger to her heart, a reminder of the love she could never fully express.

One afternoon, while they were walking home from school, Hanni chattered on about her plans for the upcoming fall festival. Minji nodded along, trying to keep her composure, but her mind was elsewhere. "You should totally come with us," Hanni insisted, her eyes sparkling. "It'll be so much fun!"

"Yeah, I'll think about it," Minji replied, her voice flat.

Hanni tilted her head, concern etched on her face. "Are you sure? You've been acting kind of distant lately."

"I'm just busy with schoolwork," Minji lied, avoiding Hanni's gaze. "You know how it is."

Hanni didn't look convinced but nodded anyway. "Alright, but I really hope you can make it. I miss hanging out like we used to."

The weeks turned into a blur of classes and forced smiles. Minji felt like a ghost, floating alongside Hanni while hiding her true feelings beneath a mask of friendship. She spent sleepless nights thinking about Hanni, replaying their moments together and wishing she could turn back time.