Prologue

Flashback

It was saturday afternoon, the warm breeze whisked through the tall blades of grass in the small park just outside of town. As she wandered her way toward the open field, the sound of laughter and spirited shouts echoed around her.

She stepped into a scene where a group of kids gathered for a lively game of baseball. The air was thick with anticipation as players basked in the excitement of their weekend activity.

She stood still, taking in the scene unfolding before her, when something caught her attention-a boy crouched behind the plate, his eyes intense, transforming the dusty dirt beneath him into his own kingdom. He played the role of catcher.

The boy, was all focused determination. To her, he seemed like a hero poised for action. His brown hair glistened in the sunlight, and the way he crouched low, ready to spring into action, made her heart race. She watched as he effortlessly shifted from side to side, his glove poised, waiting for his teammates to throw the ball. Every so often, a quick, determined grin flashed across his face when a pitch landed in his glove, and he tossed it back, eager for more.

She was drawn in by the way he commanded the attention of the game, his confidence radiating through the field. It was exhilarating to witness someone so engrossed in play; it was as if he was dancing in a rhythm she had never known existed.

After a moment lost in the thrill of it all, she couldn't contain herself any longer. She stepped closer to the sidelines, attempting to summon up the courage to call out to him. The tension built as the next play unfolded. The whack of the bat against the ball rang out, sending the ball soaring high over the field. The boy sprang into action, his movements as fluid as she continues saying.

"Catch it! You can do it!" She shouted, her voice ringing with encouragement. She didn't care if she was interrupting the game; she just wanted to cheer him on.

The boy who had been lost in the whirlwind of sport, paused momentarily and turned his head toward the source of the unfamiliar voice. His gaze met hers, and for a heartbeat, the world around them faded. There was a spark of surprise and then a flicker of delight in his eyes as he mouthed a silent "Thanks!" before dashing after the soaring ball.

during a quiet moment in the game, the boy waved at her, inviting her in without a second thought. With infectious enthusiasm, he gestured to the other kids to come over too.

"Come join us!" he called, beckoning her forward. The girl's heart raced with excitement and fear. After a deep breath, she nodded, a smile breaking across her face. She crossed the threshold into the grass field, feeling as if she were stepping into a new chapter of her life.

"The name's Kazuya. Miyuki kazuya" he introduced himself with a handshake.
"Shiloh... Shiloh Hamada" she shook his hand.

As the others introduced themselves, she learned that they were all living in the same neighborhood, bonded through their love of baseball, laughter, and competition. With every throw and every run around the bases, she felt a connection blossomin with the whole group.

The afternoon drifted into evening, the setting sun casting a golden hue over the field, they shared laughter and playful banter, savoring the thrill of the game and the joy of newfound friendship.

______________________________________

It was the start of a new semester in Middle School as a first year student. The sun hung low in the sky, casting a warm orange glow over the sprawling rooftops of Tokyo as I stood outside the gates of Seiryu Junior High School.

A nervous knot twisted in my stomach, tightening with each step I took toward the entrance. It felt like just yesterday that I was in elementary school, blissfully unaware of the shifting dynamics of friendships and social hierarchies that came with junior high.