✧ chapter 1 : what a pain...

Nagi was questioning himself and it was all this knock-off, cheetah of an ariel's fault.

It all started when he picked Manshine City as his team in the Neo Egoist League. As if it were fate, Reo picked it too. He didn't join this team for Reo — well he technically did in the long run since he thought this team would help him fulfil their promise, but that's too complicated for Nagi to even think about.

Though they had both picked England and trained together often, the two were still in an awkward position. Sure, Reo greeted him whenever he saw Nagi, and yeah, they did converse out of practice, but it wasn't the same as before. Nagi knows it's partially his fault, after all he did leave Reo to play with Isagi in the second selection. But doesn't Reo know it was for their promise? The reality was that they lost. To Isagi. Nagi knew then that he couldn't be the best of the best if he couldn't even beat a short little hater. So, he teamed with Isagi, to get stronger, for Reo's sake. Everything he did was for Reo's sake.

Unfortunately, Reo wasn't the only one with him in Manshine because here he was right now with her majesty the princess. Sure he thought Chigiri was decent sometimes — he was one of the normal ones in Blue Lock which made him less of a pain — but that red haired rapunzel was a thief! A thief, Nagi says. Metaphorically and literally.

He quite literally steals Nagi's pillows because 'his hair couldn't get ruined overnight', but Nagi didn't really care about that. Sleep was sleep, and arguing was a hassle and futile, because holy shit, Mr. Speedstar was a stubborn one. What Nagi did care about though, was his partner! Reo was his and he was Reo's. It was common knowledge for anyone in Blue Lock. So why the hell was miss hair-for-brains always with Reo? He was fine if they ate and trained together sometimes, hell, he was fine if they hung out in moderation too! But the line was crossed when he overheard that Chigiri spent the night in Reo's room! (Nagi misunderstood. Chigiri did indeed not spend the night at Reo's, they only watched clips of past matches of the other teams in order to properly prepare for upcoming games. Chigiri did leave at one point but Nagi was too busy sulking to know.)

Nagi didn't care if Chigiri was upset because of his emo hero boyfriend. That was his personal problem. Why does he and Reo need to be roped into it? He wanted Reo to have his full attention on him like how he did before, was that too much to ask for? He never had to fight for Reo's attention and he didn't want to start now.

"Oi. Stop spacing out and pass, you ball hog!"

Speak of the devil. Right, Nagi was in the middle of practice. He lazily passed the ball to Chigiri.

"At least put some effort in!" Chigiri groaned, as he ran with the ball. After outrunning the defenders Chigiri scanned the field and his eyes landed on a certain purple haired hier. He quickly faked out another player and kicked the ball in Reo's direction. Reo understood and trapped the ball, copying Nagi, then immediately shot using Itoshi Rin's technique.

Tweeeeet. That signalled the goal and the end of the practice match. There were no yells of victory, no cheering for the final goal, no nothing. This wasn't a real match. Instead there was heavily panting from all the players and the smell of sweat filled the air. In the corner of his view, Nagi could spot Reo and Chigiri share a victory highfive. Nagi frowned as he felt a distasteful sensation he hadn't felt before. It wasn't outrageous to celebrate with your teammate for an assisted goal so why was he feeling so bitter? Nagi was snapped out of his thoughts by Chris Prince's clapping.

"Alright, great work today! Keep training and before you know it you'll all be able to surpass your current selves!"

With that, the crowd of strikers dispersed.

I'm sleepy.

x x x

Separation anxiety. It's something Nagi learned about the other day. He overheard the gradient curly haired German talking about it and it made Nagi think about Reo and him. The description fits. He did feel anxious when he wasn't with Reo.