Chapter 30: Dahlia Harper

For a moment it felt as if some sort of fabric of time arose and began replacing the stitches in my head with ones that sank something all the way to my chest. It became difficult to breath as if her gaze was pulling a string that kept my body from going taunt. Like she had the ability to cut my breathing off.

My mind fathomed an almost terrifying feeling. I could barely keep looking at her.

Watching as she swept her gaze over me, a hue of vermillion casted a glow on my cheeks at the abrupt involvement of humiliation at my current state.

"Ms Harper."

My blood ran cold with how my name rolled off of her tongue. It seemed unfamiliar to me. A few moments passed before I could muster up into a state where I was not hazed by her overwhelming presence.

"Hi." Embarrassment blanketed my vision from how meek my voice sounded in comparison to the suave tone she used.

Her expression remained stoic, professional to the point of intimidation. The clack of her sharp heels pierced my ears to where I wanted to beg her to stay there. Continuous approaches in my direction led anxiousness to bleed out of my character.

"My name is Doctor Whitlock." Speaking sternly that it made me feel that this was no conversation, that all focus was intrigued by her and belittled at the thought of embracing me.

She came up in front of me, holding my breath with my cautious gaze as her hand lifted from her pocket which invoked a shiver for me.

The dread that swallowed me whole from the idea of being touched by her grew impulsive into my body to inch back as my gaze stayed attentive to the motion of her slim finger closing the distance between us.

Lingering  in my mind were fantasies of where she would graze it, an active battle proceeded to wield their swords to either spring off of the bed with the stern notion that she can not touch me. Or perhaps swat her hand away.

"Follow my finger please." She advocated, letting her finger glide in the air from side to side.

For a moment I sat there confused about what she was referring to. My mind was a cloud of emotions and concerns that her words finally registered a moment too late to be considered normal.

She stared at me, a look that seemed unsatisfied with whatever condition I had as my delayed gaze followed her finger. Resisting the urge to lift my leer to get a graze of the expression on her face.

"Any head pain?"

My throat grew dryer, refuting any opportunity to speak so instead I shook my head.

"Any dizziness?" Repeating with a tone so impossible to decipher.

"No." I crocked out like my airway was blocked. My gaze kept drawing to the opened door, wondering how far the nearest exit was for me to get out of here. Anywhere, away from her.

"Ms. Harper." She repeats, completely catching my attention. "Is there something bothering you? Is there a distraction I should get rid of?"

"Uh, no sorry. Do you have any of my necessities?"

She stands up straighter and lets her gaze scan over a clipboard. "Last time I checked, they were with the people who brought you here."

It was like a lost situation. I was abandoned here with no cellphone, no money, and not a single idea of what to do. And worst of all, no way to antagonize the doctor who was keeping me here.