Chapter 15: As Best Friends Do

Haru waited by the door, his back leaning against the store's glass display. He checked his phone, then looked up, then checked his phone again. He kept repeating this pattern, barely able to contain his excitement. Then, just down the street, he spotted a familiar figure making his way towards him. He wore his iconic fedora, a scarf carelessly draped around his neck. His white button up top had its first button undone, his jeans so tight-fit, they hugged the shape of his slim legs, and to top it off, his old, worn-out, once white, sneakers.

"Lenki!" He exclaimed, running up to his best friend, giving him a much-needed hug.

"Haru!" Yarmolenko returned it, parting promptly after. "It has been too long! How have you been? I see you look better than ever!" He exclaimed, looking his best friend up and down.

"Mhm!" Haru nodded, excitement rushing through him like a little kid. "The new job has been good. My boss gives me enough time off and lets me rest whenever he doesn't need me".

"You need rest from making coffee and running errands?" he teased.

"Hey! Making coffee and running around is tiring, okay?" Haru exclaimed, playfully nudging Yarmolenko. He returned the favour, Haru stumbling back and catching himself before he could fall. Yarmolenko's eyes widened, his jaw dropping in surprise.

"What?" Haru questioned, puzzled by the other's reaction.

"Nothing. I'm just surprised. You were so skinny before. You'd fall over with just the slightest little push. It's nice to see you've been taking care of yourself" he smiled.

Haru could feel his cheeks burn. He hadn't thought Yarmolenko would've noticed details like that. He pressed his hands on his face, trying to hide his embarrassment.

"W-well, I earn way more now so I can afford to!"

"And I'm happy for you! It's just really cool to see you put on some muscle" he teased, pinching Haru's sides. He jumped, swatting at his hands.

"You know I'm ticklish there!" he giggled, Yarmolenko pulling his hands back promptly.

"I know," he smiled. Then, by habit, he raised his hand, placing it gently atop Haru's head and petting softly. This was normal for the pair, seemingly like brothers. Yarmolenko had pitied Haru after hearing his story the first time they met. They had both dropped out of school but Haru did it as a necessity, hoping to provide for his brother and take care of their ill mother. Yarmolenko did it out of pride, having been a child prodigy at school, earning straight As and surpassing all the teachers' expectations of a middle school student. By the first year of high school, he no longer saw the significance of academics, finding it dull and boring. Much to his parents' dismay, he dropped out of school and started working at a convenience store, which was where he and Haru first met.

"So, Spring Shack first?" He asked, pointing towards the café behind them. They had set it as their meeting point, it being their favourite spot to relax and hang out.

"Mhm!" Haru nodded excitedly, pulling Yarmolenko by the arm into the store.

Cosy, warm lights filled the café, soft music playing over the lively atmosphere. The tables and chairs were adorned with beautiful, vibrantly coloured covers, the walls had murals of cute animals decorating it at every turn, and potted plants filled what would've otherwise been empty space in the café. Everyone, from school children to elderly couples, chatted over some delicious meals. The cafés delights spanned from freshly brewed coffee to comfort foods such as Mac 'n' Cheese.

Similarly, Haru and Yarmolenko were enjoying a large bowl of freshly baked Mac 'n' Cheese. They shared it, the serving being big enough for two to get their fill from it. Haru had missed the simplicity of comfort dishes such as this. He didn't hate the complex fancy foods that Mateo made him eat but he had to admit, this was so much better. What if he had Mateo bring them here the next time he allowed him to choose where they should go? He wondered if he would agree to an informal social spot such as this one. He imagined Mateo in this setting, almost bursting out in laughter from how funny that would look. It would be much more awkward than at the ramen store if he showed up in a suit again.