iv. enchanted preparations

iv.   enchanted preparations

                    Every student gathered in the great hall for dinner

                    Every student gathered in the great hall for dinner. Each house full of laughter, the candles above flickering and dancing while everyone ate. Valerie, Sienna, Vanessa, Marlene, and Katerina all sat together. Katerina had introduced Marlene to the girls, and was happy to know that she had a knew friend. "What are you reading?" Valerie asked Vanessa, who was currently lost in a book. "Nothing important, just some silly research novel for Fig." She peered up. Katerina poked lightly at some of the peas on her plate.

"McGonagall has been up our asses this past week, it's project after project." Valerie scoffed, rolling her eyes at the thought of even returning to Transfiguration the next morning. "Tell me about it, I have two projects due on the same day." Katerina chimed in. "Yup, Professor Sprout isn't letting us off very easy." Marlene laughed, suddenly remembering about the Venomous Tentacula that they had to be around for several days.

"Let's all just take in the moment, it only gets harder from here, right?" Sienna's soft voice spoke from the other side of Valerie. Sienna had always been an enthusiastic kind of girl, she never wanted to see or hear any negative comments or actions around her, and if she did, she would always try to bring them to a new light. Sienna was a huge to help to Katerina over the summer, in the events of her sister's death, Sienna Monroe had been the first person to reach out.

Katerina could never forget the night they cried in each other's arms in the garden under the fading dusk of summer. As Fall approached, and the weather got cooler, Sienna Monroe never left Katerina Blackwood's side. "Right." Katerina responded. "Quiet, Students!" Dumbledore's voice fell over the now hushed crowd, like a lullaby to a baby.

"As some of you may now know, the annual Fall Ball will be arriving shortly, and I highly encourage all students of Hogwarts to attend. These are sacred times, especially now." Dumbledore spoke, his hands resting on the sides of the podium, while his fingers tapped the wood. He scanned over every student, making sure all got the message. "Therefore, I welcome you all to celebrate." He smiled, the Great Hall echoing with cheers and claps.

Dumbledore stepped off of the podium, and walked back to his chair at the professors table. The Great Hall resumed its usual noisy chatter, Sirius looked to James, who had his chin resting on his hand, and his knuckle up to his lip. James noticed his staring, and looked over. "What?" He asked, clearly confused with the smirk on Sirius' lips. "Two-and-a-half to go!" He taunted, making James roll his eyes. Perhaps asking Katerina would make the bet roll faster, but there was a very high chance that her answer would be a big fat no.

She had no reason to like him, and maybe James Potter was crazy, but asking her to the Fall Ball was absolutely mad. "Shut it up, watch, I'll get her." He scoffed, turning back to his food and eating. "I say, we go into Hogsmeade tomorrow and find our dresses." Vanessa smiled, crossing her arms over each other and shrugging. "That sounds nice, I haven't been to Hogsmeade in quite a while." Valerie responded, popping a tiny pea in her mouth. "Sounds great." Katerina chimed, hesitantly looking to the Hufflepuff table for Cyrus, but he was nowhere to be found.