(Part: 3) Adamantium

WARNINGS: Mentions of Self-Deprecation, Mentions of Blood, Mentions of Weaponry, Mentions of Fluff

Sleep had never come so easily, as it has right now. The fear of nightmares left your body as Logan took off his leather jacket, sliding into the small bed, wrapping his bulky limb over your shoulder as you rested your head on his chest. The heavy thumps of his heartbeat against your ear were like a soothing lullaby. Earlier this morning he treated you like you were a burden, showing you his gruff, uncaring persona, and now he's pressed against you, acting as a safe haven.

Logan fought the urge to sleep as he watched your breathing become shallower with each passing second. Your face was still stained with the dry tears that were shed moments before, but now it was calm and expressionless as you drifted off. His heart skipped at the sight. You looked so gentle, so vulnerable, making him feel the need to protect you. Why would he want to protect someone he had just met? The feeling was almost primal, deeply engrained into his very core and he couldn't fight it no matter how hard he tried. Was it the fact that he so effortlessly shared his past with? Or was it that you freely shared yours in return, creating a sense of newfound trust? He had never told anyone about the horrors that plagued his brain, but he told you, just to elevate the fears in your mind.

And when you held his arm as he tried to leave, staring at him with large (Y/E/C), watery eyes, he didn't hesitate to comfort you. And that leaves him here, wondering why someone he didn't even know could wiggle their way into his heart, earning his sympathies. The night went on just like this, with him resisting heavy eyelids as you peacefully rested. And to your surprise, he was still right there in the morning.

The rays of sun that shone through your curtains warmed your skin, leaving goosebumps trailing up your arms and legs. When you open your eyes, you see the faint color of white against perfectly sun-kissed skin. Then you see dark hair that looks almost delectably soft to the touch. You let out a satisfied hum as you remember the night before, alerting Logan of your consciousness. You sit up slowly, as his heavy arm slides off your shoulder. He watches your every move as you stretch and groan, allowing your body to wake from a peaceful sleep. He doesn't say a word. He just observes.

You turn your neck, still feeling the tightness in your muscles, eventually meeting his eyes. "Thank you, Logan." You softly smile at him, but he doesn't respond as if he is lost in thought. "I mean, for staying with me last night. Thank you." The silence is so thick that you could cut it with a knife. He nods and lets out a small grunt, before standing and picking up his jacket from the dresser. He makes his way to the door, jacket hanging from his forearm before turning to you. "I'll see you around." and with that he leaves your room, closing the door behind him.

You sit there silent and alone. Cool air brushes over your skin, in his absence and you feel your chest weigh down on you. He left so abruptly after being so vulnerable with you the night prior. You begin questioning everything that had happened, but then you're left with the feeling of guilt, and you have no idea why.

As the week went on, you had barely seen Logan. A few times here and there you would see him in the hallway, sharing glances before he rushed off. It seemed as if he was avoiding you, making your heart ache.

You were on your way to the kitchen when the professor began to probe your mind. "Good morning, (Y/N). Will you please meet me in my study, I would like to discuss your training in person." You turn on your heel, quickly making your way to Xavier's office. You gather yourself at the closed doors, before sighing deeply and entering. You match the professor's smile, taking small steps into the room, and gently shutting the door behind you. As you sit in the armchair, the old worn leather squeaks under your weight.