Chapter 25: No Time for Chance Encounters

"Look love, this was the first thing you gave me," I whisper.

It's a very classy yet elegant looking fountain pen. The nib is of gold. I help her unsteady body to stand as her head rests on my chest. Out of the corner of my eyes I see Damien's focus glued to me as he shifts tensely in his seat.

"Edward," Charlotte lifts my chin up looking dizzily at me as droplets of wine slides down the corners of her mouth. "Tell me, did you ever have any affection for me?"

"I have had, love," I say making her hold the pen. I sit her on the sofa. Some papers are there on the glass table.

"Then make love to me Edward. Make me feel like you belong to me. Only me." She kisses my neck with fervour then pushes her body into mine.

"Do you desire me that much Florence?" I ask with a hint of innocence lingering in my expression.

"Tell me Eddie, how do I make you believe? Shall I end my life for you?" She acts like the perfect intoxicated love sick woman when she clasps the lapels of my suit, barely holding onto me.

"Anything but that, love. I can't have you dying on me. After all I crave you as much as a homeless beggar craves home." I push the papers in her hand. "One little task here, love. Then I'm all yours. Today, tomorrow and for the rest of our lives."

"Yes love," she hiccups. "This Sunday will be unimaginable..." She holds the papers clumsily. "What are these my love?" She tries to kiss me again. "Ah my head feels dizzy.."

"Some not so important conditions that will tie us together—forever. Can you do this simple task for me?"

"You know Edward... There was a time when I used to decline every guy who'd go to any length to get my attention. After all I'm the only daughter of my beloved father. He never made me realise that I didn't have mother."

She sniffs a little. "After him, you're the one I have chosen to put my utter faith and love in. You made me understand this feeling that I suppressed for decades. If love comes with a little condition, let me accept it."

She smiles feverishly planting a gentle kiss on my hand then presses it against her bosom.

I kiss her forehead. "Florence..."

She signs the paper shakily without going through it.

"Do you feel alright?" I ask when she leans heavily on me. "Shall I take you to the bedroom?"

She doesn't answer. Her grip holding onto the pen loosen up. It hits the floor.

"You're the first woman I have put this much effort Florence," I say looking intensely at the invisible stage. "And you're also the last woman whose destiny will be written in my hands."

"Cut!"

"Excellent shot."

They exclaim cheerfully. Charlotte gets up then walks over to the other side to get some refreshments.

Damien strides to me. "Edward Hunt huh. The protagonist cum antagonist. This role was really made for ya."

"Take a break," Mr. Charles suggests.

I glance at the clock. Wow it's already 7 pm.

"What do you mean by that?" I ask him.

"You know... A facade," Damien says thinking deeply. "A brutal heartless character—Edward who's only pretending to get his purpose done."

"You...on the other hand... Hm... Cold tacit nature—oh and you flinch ever so slightly every time I attempt to get inside of your head to read your thoughts." He leans towards me offering me a lichi drink.