The Lake

It's a cool, humid evening on the 4th of July. A young woman and her husband live happily on a farm with 3 children. Two young boys and a girl. The family owned a lake down by the edge of their farmland. This lake was about 200 acres long and about 20 feet deep. You could assume this lake would be public property, but it most certainly was not. It was all to themselves. You could imagine just how much fun the children would spend down there. They didn't have much else to do on the farm after all. The family was dedicated to their farm, and owned one for each person. At the end of each day, everyone would take the time to go down by the lake and kayak together while watching the distant fireworks across town. The view was one surrounded by trees that stretched out only being able to see what was in the sky above. The family are out into the lake on their kayaks. The fireworks begin to set off into the distance. The family all looking up as the sky brightens with lights of blue, red, and white. It was one of the most joyous holidays this family would take the time to cherish. The atmosphere had begun to fog just a bit. Still visible enough to see each kayak and person. The fireworks became loud despite them being throughout the distance. The two boys began gasping loudly with excitement. Then the younger girl. The father glances at his wife and they smile. Turning their attention back into the sky. In the nick of time a loud splash comes from The direction of the mother's kayak. The family quickly turns towards her direction in silence and shock with confusion. She looked as if she was paralyzed. Staring straight ahead of her into the distance everyone else stopped and looked but it was nothing but trees. The father asks if she is alright. She slowly turns toward him and nods with the same grin she had from when she had looked at him before. They all continue to watch and listen to the fireworks as the ambience covers the sound of the bubbles from underneath the surface.