Chapter 8: Class Placement Evaluation (3)

"You managed to survive this far, Grade E commoner, Oh, it seems there's a mana grain on your watch... Only one? Ho-ho, were you so desperate to survive that you hid the entire time?

...That's quite intuitive.

"And on top of that, your mana perception must be atrocious! How pitiful!"

Isn't it a cowardly move to hit me with facts?

Well, even though he looked like an asshole, it was an obvious fact that he was far superior to me in terms of skill.

If I fight him head-to-head with magic, I would lose 100 out of 100 times.

But I needed to get past him somehow.

I didn't know what was going on with Ian right now, maybe the worst-case scenario had already happened. I couldn't let myself have a bad ending because of him.

I secretly inserted one of my fingers into the magic pouch in my back pocket, and a magic tool in the form of a small glass bottle was caught by my finger.

As I saw during the magic power evaluation, Tristan Humphrey's magic was quite powerful, but he was inexperienced in defending himself since he solely focused on attacking rather than defending.

He disliked the combat style that involved carefully deploying defensive magic while fighting.

He was a man who had only mastered attack magic with the mindset of 'the best defense is a good offense.'

It was a mindset born out of the lack of practical experience. The servants of the Humphrey family supported and raised him without giving him any hands-on experience. In fact, this class placement evaluation was probably his debut stage.

"You aren't even trying to run away when I'm in front of you? You're just a Grade E commoner, where does such unfounded confidence even come from? Or, are you petrified from fear?

"Hahaha—" Tristan laughed heartily before coughing and gasping due to swallowing his saliva incorrectly.

Maybe it was because I had been playing ❰Magic Knight of Märchen❱ for a long time, but even Tristan's third-rate villain lines felt familiar.

Still, I had to knock him down and get past him.

'Because I know him well.'

It's possible.

I threw the small glass bottle in my hand to the ground.

Clink-!

The small glass bottle collided with a stone and broke, releasing the hazy mist that had condensed in it.

Suuuuuuuuuu──

[Processed Fog]When the bottle is shattered, it instantly generates a dense fog of the water element. The effect lasts for 20 seconds.Rank: Tier 7

"Fog?"

The magic tool I broke was a water element item, 'Processed Fog'.

It created a hazy fog around itself in an instant, similar to a smoke bomb.

However, this was insufficient, as Tristan and I could still see one another's movements if we looked closely.

I stretched out my right hand and spread pure white, cold air.

「Cold Divergence (Ice Element, ★1)」

The dense fog immediately turned colder, and even whiter. As the air cooled, condensation occurred and formed advection fog, becoming denser and thicker.