𝟎𝟔𝟑. 𝐟𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐲 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐩𝐮𝐭𝐞𝐬

FAMILY DISPUTES
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

⋆𐙚₊˚⊹ chapter sixty-three,
Gilmore Girls — Season Three

⋆𐙚₊˚⊹ chapter sixty-three, Gilmore Girls — Season Three

𝐀𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐥 𝟐𝐧𝐝, 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟑
―୨୧⋆ ˚ LUCY'S POV

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

𝐉𝐄𝐒𝐒 𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐀𝐍𝐎 𝐈𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐎𝐘𝐄𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐇 𝐀𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐓, and me and my dad made sure to really show our support. There was a ceremony where we applauded him, teased him endlessly, and then he finally skulked off to do some work. However, after the ceremony, the manager came over to speak to us and we discovered that Jess is working up to forty hours a week── full-time work.

  Now that I think about it, I've rarely seen Jess around school. Sure, he and I aren't in the same classes this year, but he's usually around. I've been distracted recently with being accepted to Yale and being congratulated every five seconds by a different faculty member. I haven't been able to keep track of myself never mind Jess.

  Part of me doesn't want to believe that he's working that many hours, not when he has school and a promise to my dad that he must graduate if he wants to keep staying here.

  There's just no way he's skipping that much school, right?

  I sit in the diner that morning before school, my hands wrapped around a coffee mug, and my eyes on Nicole and Dad. They've been dating for a few weeks now, and I think all is going well. I still have an... odd feeling about her, I can't even really explain it, but I haven't said a word to Dad about it.

Jess rushes downstairs, rounding the corner into the diner, and he nearly crashes into me. I look over at Dad who is walking over now that Nicole has left. "I gotta go," Jess says, moving past me.

I stare at him strangely and then at the clock. "Where?"

"School."

Dad looks over at me, and I shrug. "Oh, school, okay. Well, have a good day... at school." Dad doesn't think he's going to school, and if I'm being honest, I don't think he is either.

"I will." Jess leaves, and I walk over to the window to stand next to Dad.

From the window, we watch Jess walk towards school, pause, and then rush away from the door towards his car. I stare with unsurprised eyes, and Dad shakes his head, obviously disappointed because Jess has been lying to him for, well, I don't know how long.