23 - Who Will?

Half-asleep, I wondered where the noise of gently boiling morning coffee was, burbling gently through the thin walls. The sheets scratched at my stomach. The room was dark, and the sun was down. Wait. Calypso stood by a window, holding open a dark velvet curtain with a gloved hand. It rained gently, the pitter patter falling on the window rhythmically. You've kept my life so young, so new, crooned a voice from an embedded speaker above my head. A headache burst into my temples ferociously as I fully entered consciousness.

"You didn't kill me," I sat up, noting her extremely sharp suit. The cut was not feminine, it was a man's suit. Carefully tailored to her. Her shoulders, looked large and muscled, tapering down to that impossibly small wait. The pants hung down, but not enough to conceal the way her hips tapered out. Fuck, her in a suit was a different thing. This was all different. 

"In any different world, I would kill you for the way you've been lying to me."

It was no use to continue the farce. Her attempts to punish me had only been pleasurable. Anything to keep my darkness from intersecting with hers.

"Some things are not worth knowing."

"I admit, it's unbearably cute. You protecting me, putting up surveillance worms within my home network. You lied to my face, but were not afraid to be blatant there." 

Counter, I was too dumb to know how to do it better.

"All centered around tracking the distance of one man from me." She thumbed her lip, her purple blazing eyes not looking at me. That small smile that damned me in the first place. It would be so much easier if she wasn't... her. "You're jealous, I understand"

... Jealous? Arrogant little-

"Do I have something to be jealous about?" My arms crossed, not even needing to act out my disbelief. Did she even swing that way? Towards little toads? Lucifer would get what he wanted by any means necessary.

"Absolutely not," Calypso huffed. 

"I swear to God, if you're cheating on me instead of killing people! I will-" I was out of bed, pointing a finger in her chest. 

"You'll what," she lowered her head to time. 

"Kill. You." The caress to destabilize only made me angrier. 

"He is dangerous, and much too savvy. I would kill him instantly if he was a target. Now the real question here is, do I have something to be jealous of?"

"Try harder." 

"Lucifer and I share what some would call a non-relationship. I simply do not know him. I know of his organization, and his movements. I know he wants me dead. But I have not built up any trust with him to have a relationship." Organization. There's more than just Lucifer. Of course there is, I keep getting in deeper than I want. Wilde. Daniel. Amy. My own father. Papa. I am just a pawn to be moved around for others' goals and aspirations. No more.

"I have evidence that you've seen his little singing show." Calypso finally dropped her hand, realizing my anger heavier than bargained. "Twice."

"Evidence? You're not a fucking cop."

Her leathered resting on the curve of my shoulder. A promise of pain.

"And yet- you're not confused. Do you think it's not quite obvious? You go to a Lucifer show, and then months later, you suddenly have new found knowledge on mathematics, software engineering," she leaned down, I closed my eyes, "A.I.?"

"I just wanted to understand better. I liked math when I was going to school." Not a lie. Not the truth. The leather was around my throat, her eyes now locked in mine. Gentle, but leaving me trembling under her. 

"I don't need you to protect me," she brushed a hair out of my mouth tenderly, brushing against my lip so softly. "Or love me."

"Who will?"

...

The hotel lobby was filled with smartly dressed patrons. Couples holding glasses of wine and bourbon, some mingling, others locked in the space of their significant other. I was suddenly drawn back to that first night, failing in my conquest of Runkle's favor, standing in the foyer of a large building as Wilde bided his time to approach me. Young. Naive. Poor. Opinion-less. The perfect tool. Now, I knew better than to think I wasn't those things.

The crowning jewel of the lobby was a heavy set of glass doors. A man wavered on the other side of the glass. He was tall, with a face so gaunt it had shadows even through the distance. The wind rustled the bottom of his trench-coat, and I paused as a realized exactly who it was. He brought a pale finger up to his lips. Be quiet or...

The door opened and he was gone.