instincts

𝐅𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐄𝐃
𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘤𝘵𝘴

Why does living always feel so exhausting?

She asked herself that question countless times. It's as if every effort she makes falls short, never quite reaching the mark. But what exactly is this mark? The end goal? Even those questions seem too exhausting to answer. They're rhetorical, really—no one truly knows what lies beyond the purpose of living.

For one thing, the world expects her to be the epitome of privilege—a rich girl born into wealth, living a well-off life. She was grateful, there was no denying that. Yet, it felt as though she was living in a cage—trapped by the voices in her mind and the suffocating atmosphere of her household.

Shoto told her, 'Who you are on the inside doesn't matter if people only care about what's on the surface.' As much as his words seemed like a cruel punch to the gut, it was true. That's reality.

"Being part of this family means that we have to maintain the 'status quo.' Even if it means sacrificing who we are on the inside." He said that as well.

Twenty years of living, breathing, and moving, it had always felt as though the air had sealed itself tight around her. Growing up, that airtight household only led her down a really dark, regrettable path. No one really knew her, just the face that she brought on whenever they sat at the dinner table.

Her family didn't see beyond the smile she wore—her lips curved upward, but her eyes remained downcast. They only realized the truth when they found her lying on the floor of her childhood bedroom. Her eyes were smiling, but her lips had turned blue. Then and only then did they finally open their eyes and truly see her. But that wasn't enough.

They saw her, but did they really know her?

That was her choice moving forward. She left who she was in her childhood bedroom. That airtight household. At least, she had thought she'd left the person who she was. From one size too small to a size too big, she slipped into a persona that was only masked with expectations and reputations to be met. 'The mark.' As she likes to call it. But old habits die hard...right?

Tonight was the night where she had to conform into that second persona.

"[Name] Todoroki, the youngest of the Todoroki Family making her first public appearance. The Grand Debut!"

The headlines of every news article had her name practically screaming through every smartphone imaginable. It was overwhelming—annoying, even—how her name kept popping up every time she clicked on a different app. She hated that the entire world now knew a face to her name. Her father, Enji Todoroki, had always been very clear with his children about keeping their exposure limited from a young age—especially [Name]. And now, she regretted not savoring those moments when she had the chance.

Tonight is one of the biggest events in Japan's history: the Endeavor Corporation's Annual Showcase. And her family is at the heart of it all.

Walking deliberately through the sea of eyes, [Name] upheld her usual smile, nodding at the esteemed guests with practiced grace. They were her father's business partners, associates, and formally invited guests—each a ray of color from around the world. The Todorokis weren't just well-known in Japan; their influence extended across the globe. Their watchful eyes added a sense of unease and tension within her, as if they were waiting for her to slip up or step out of line, diminishing her presence with every glance.

[Name] began to fiddle with the bracelet on her wrist, her eyes carefully avoiding the gazes that loomed over her. Trying to keep her nerves in check, she scanned the entire showroom, her focus shifting to the different model cars lined up along its length.