FIRST ENCOUNTER

Alfarez Avenue, Barangay Lantic, Carmona, Cavite

Carmona Estates

After almost 10 hours of travel, they finally arrived at Gale's father's house. She took a deep breath before stepping out of the car.

"Gale, iha, finally!" Emelia, her father's wife, greeted her with a warm embrace that took her by surprise. It was their first meeting, but Gale's gut feeling told her that her father's new wife was a good person.

"Come in, iha, I'm sure you're super tired from the byahe. Napakalayo ba naman!" Emelia quickly asked the maid to fetch Gale's bag and suitcase from the car and guided her to her room.

"This will be your room while you stay here," Emelia said. Gale scanned the room, which beckoned with warmth and comfort. Soft, golden light from a bedside lamp filled the space, casting a gentle glow that made everything feel inviting. The bed, covered in a cozy quilt of rich, soothing colors, promised a restful night. Plump pillows, soft and welcoming, were stacked like clouds, ready to embrace her. The walls were painted in a calm, muted color. The floor was covered with a plush rug that felt soft underfoot. Light, airy curtains hung at the windows, letting in a gentle breeze and adding to the room's serene atmosphere. The faint scent of lavender mixed with the fresh smell of cedar from the wardrobe, created a soothing ambiance.

"I know this is far different from your room back at home, but I made sure to add some details for you," Emelia said. Her heart felt happy hearing that, but she also felt a pang of guilt about the thoughts she had regarding her father's new wife.

"No po, it's great and I really appreciate the effort. Thank you so much po," Gale said. Emelia smiled softly at her, with a motherly warmth.

"Just let me know if you need anything, iha. For now, get some rest. If you're hungry, just let me know, and I'll ask our helper to prepare food for you." She said thank you and as soon as Emelia locked the door, she immediately slumped down in her bed.

Ahhhh finally my back can rest.

Gale pulled out her phone and called her mother back home.

"Gale anak, nandiyan ka na?" Her mother's voice was a comforting balm. Gale took a deep breath before answering. Even though she had only just arrived, she missed her mother and home deeply.

"Yes Ma, kararating lang po namin. Kumusta po kayo dyan?" She fought to keep her voice steady, but the ache in her chest was undeniable.

"Ayos naman kami dito, Nak, no worries. Miss na kita." That was the last straw. Gale finally let the tears she had been holding back flow freely.

"Mama naman eh, uwi na ako dyan ngayon, gusto mo?" She heard her mother chuckle softly on the other end.

"Ikaw talaga, naninibago lang ako dito sa bahay kasi wala ka. Mag-ingat ka lagi dyan, okay? If there's a problem, tawagan mo agad ako. Ako na mismo ang pupunta dyan." Gale sniffled and wiped her tears.

"Yes po, Ma. Mag-ingat din po kayo palagi. Miss ko na agad kayo sobra."

"Ikaw din, Nak. Mahal kita palagi."

"Mas mahal kita sobra pa sa sobra, Ma." After exchanging these heartfelt words, her mother bid goodbye so Gale could finally get some rest.

With a sigh of relief, Gale found herself a comfortable pair of pajamas and headed to the shower to freshen up. Afterward, she allowed herself to sink into the bed, finally giving in to a deep, much-needed slumber.