13- BEYOND THE HEADSTONES

One week later
Ana's POV...

I rubbed my eyes and gazed lazily out the window.

I couldn't even sleep a wink last night, it's always like this every 1st of July, because it's my birthday.

So happy birthday to me I guess.

I dropped my legs down from the bed and made my way to the bathroom.

I'm going to Philadelphia today, my home town to see Bree and Leah.

I've been doing that for the past five years on my birthday every year.

It somehow lessens my guilt, pain or distress whenever I see their faces again.

I got out of the bathroom and changed into a large top and baggy jean pants.

I finished the dressing with a white canvas shoe and hung a headset around my neck, it would help me fall asleep while on the train .

I tied my hair to a loose ponytail too. I stuffed some cards and letters into my bag and made my way outside.

I got to the train station, and took a seat by the window.

As I gazed outside, I saw a lush greenery and vibrant summer foliage wheezing by. The sun cast a warm glow on my face and I could feel it's rays dancing on my skin.

Outside,I could see children playing in backyard sprinklers, their laughter carrying on the breeze.

The scent of freshly cut grass and blooming wild flowers filled the air, inadvertently putting me to sleep.

By the time I woke up, we were already at my destination.

The cemetery isn't far off from the train station, so it will only take me a few minutes walk.

I entered a small shop and got myself a cake and some birthday candles before making my way to the cemetery.

The grass seemed to be freshly cut and the air was mild. With steady steps, I made way to their headstones.

The headstones of Leah and Bree, my only childhood friends.

The gates creaked noisily as I entered inside.

The sun was high and gently kissed the grasses beneath my feet.

There's no one else here.

I spread out a small cloth and sat on the ground opposite them.

"Hello you two", I picked up the framed picture which had pictures of all three of us and my dad.

Leah short form of Camilia was a very light skinned girl.

She had long and brown curly hair which matched the color of her eyes.

She was not very tall and she wasn't too skinny, she was the funniest one of the group.

Bree on the other hand, is the short from of Bridget. She had silky black hair which stopped right at her shoulders because she refused to let it grow.

She was the smartest in our group with her deep blue eyes and average height, she always had some good energy to spread...

I put down the picture and brought out the letters from my bag. These were the birthday letters they wrote for me but never had a chance to give.

The letter- hey Ana!!, we're sorry we'll be to busy or our gymnastics tournament that we won't be in the city in time for your birthday, so we wrote you a letter!