Chapter 4 : First Date Night

Karen stood, his movements fluid. "I should get going. But...can I ask you something?"

Alisa's heart skipped a beat. "What is it?"

Karen's eyes locked onto hers. "Would you like to go out with me? Maybe dinner, or a hike? Something?"

Alisa's mind raced. She had never expected this. Karen Demir, asking her out?

"I...don't know," she stammered.

Karen smiled, his eyes crinkling. "That's okay. I'll take it as a maybe."

Alisa laughed, feeling a flutter in her chest. "Okay, fine. Yes."

Karen's face lit up, and he pulled out his phone. "Great! I'll pick you up at 7 tomorrow?"

As Alisa nodded, Karen grinned and walked out of the diner, leaving her feeling both excited and terrified.

Alisa paced around her room, her mind racing. What had she gotten herself into? Karen Demir, the most arrogant person she'd ever met, was taking her on a date.

She stopped in front of the mirror, smoothing out her dress. It was just dinner, she told herself. No big deal.

But as she heard the doorbell ring, her heart skipped a beat. She took a deep breath and made her way downstairs.

Karen stood at the door, looking impossibly handsome in a simple white shirt and jeans. He smiled, his eyes crinkling, and Alisa's doubts melted away.

"Hey," he said, handing her a bouquet of wildflowers. "You look beautiful."

Alisa's cheeks flushed as she took the flowers. "Thanks. You don't look so bad yourself."

Karen chuckled, offering his arm. "Shall we?"

As they walked to the car, Alisa felt a sense of excitement. Maybe, just maybe, this date wouldn't be a disaster after all.

The restaurant was cozy, with dim lighting and soft music. Alisa felt a sense of ease as they perused the menus, chatting about everything from food to books to childhood memories.

But just as they were about to order, a group of rowdy patrons stumbled in, shattering the peaceful atmosphere. One of them, a tall, burly man, caught sight of Karen and sneered.

"Well, well, well. Look what we have here. The great Karen Demir, slumming it with a...nobody."

Alisa's eyes narrowed, her hackles rising. Who was this guy?

Karen's expression turned icy, but he didn't rise to the bait. Instead, he smiled sweetly and said, "Ah, Victor. Always a pleasure."

Victor snorted, his eyes flicking to Alisa. "You're wasting your time with this one, Demir. She's not even in your league."

Alisa's face burned with anger, but before she could respond, Karen stood up, his eyes flashing with a fierce intensity.

"I think you'll find that Alisa is exactly in my league, Victor. And I'd appreciate it if you left us alone."

The air was electric with tension as Victor sneered, but eventually backed down, muttering under his breath.

As they sat back down, Alisa turned to Karen, her eyes wide. "What was that all about?"

Karen's expression softened, his eyes locking onto hers. "Just an old acquaintance. Don't worry about it."