My death report

During my night shift routine, Thursdays felt like endless days without sleep

During my night shift routine, Thursdays felt like endless days without sleep. I finally got a short nap in the afternoon but woke up suddenly when my phone rang. It was my mom calling, which was unusual because I normally call her before going to the hospital. Something must be wrong.

"Betta, how are you?" she asked, her voice filled with worry.

"I'm fine, Mom," I replied, still sleepy. "I was trying to sleep. Why are you calling now? I'll call you back later."

I ended the call and tried to get some more sleep, but it just wouldn't come. I could hear my roommate Nisha crying from the other side of the room.

I went over to her. "Nisha, why are you up so early?"

She looked up, her eyes red. "I took a half-day leave."

"What happened?" I asked, concerned.

"My dad is getting older and can't manage everything at home. They're pushing me to get married, but I can't do that until I finish my studies." Her voice shook with emotion.

I felt sad too. I patted her shoulder. "Don't cry. We'll find a way to handle this."

We decided to take a break and get some food to clear our heads. We washed up and headed to Rajubhai's stall, where the smell of tea and vada pav filled the air.

As we sipped our tea, a stray dog ran up and barked at us, making us jump. The dog's fur was dirty, and it looked hungry. Rajubhai quickly gave the dog a piece of biscuit, and it wandered away.

Rajubhai, always friendly, asked, "Don't you have work tonight?"

"Yes, I have a night shift," I said. Nisha added, "I took a half-day leave."

Rajubhai noticed Nisha's tear-streaked face. "What's wrong with you, Nisha?"

She replied, "I have a headache."

Rajubhai smiled gently, "When doctors say they have a headache, it's often serious for us patients."

Rajubhai was always kind and had a daughter who wanted to become a doctor. He often asked us about our studies to help her.

We finished our tea and vada pav, feeling a bit better.