Echoes of the past

**In the Auditorium:**

*We sat close together, our hands entwined, as the movie played on, but we weren't really paying attention.*

**Me:** (smiling) "You know, if we keep this up, I might start associating holidays with missing you."

**Amih:** (teasing) "Only might? I thought you were already there."

**Me:** (chuckles) "I guess I am. But seriously, how am I supposed to enjoy the holidays without seeing this smile every day?"

**Amih:** (softly) "You’ll have to get used to just imagining it, but I’ll make sure to send you pictures."

**Me:** "Pictures are nice, but they’re not the same as having you right here."

**Amih:** (squeezing my hand) "We’ll text, call, and maybe sneak in some video chats. It won’t be the same, but it’s something."

**Me:** (leaning closer, voice low) "I’ll count the days until I can see you again."

*We shared a quiet moment, lost in each other’s eyes, before I suggested we leave the auditorium.*

---

**In the Classroom:**

*The classroom was dimly lit, the only light coming from the hallway. I closed the door behind us, and the familiar scent of chalk and old textbooks lingered in the air. We stood close, the quietness around us making the moment feel even more intimate.*

**Me:** (pulling her close) "It’s crazy how this place suddenly feels so empty when you’re about to leave."

**Amih:** (tracing her fingers along my arm) "It’s just for a month. We’ll be back here before you know it."

**Me:** (leaning my forehead against hers) "A month feels like forever right now."

**Amih:** (whispering) "Then let’s make the most of the time we have left."

*I pulled her closer, our bodies pressed together, my hands resting on her waist. She tilted her head up, our lips brushing lightly before sinking into a deeper kiss. The kiss was slow, tender, as if trying to memorize the feel of each other. We broke apart, both breathless, but I wasn’t ready to let go.*

**Me:** (breathing heavily) "I’m really going to miss this."

**Amih:** (giggling softly) "This? Just the kissing?"

**Me:** (smirking) "Okay, maybe not just this. But it’s a big part."

*She wrapped her arms around my neck, pulling me in again. I lifted her leg, bringing her even closer as the kiss grew more intense, filled with longing. I lifted her onto the desk, our lips never parting, my hands holding her as if she might slip away.*

**Amih:** (whispering between kisses) "We’ll be okay, you know."

**Me:** (kissing her neck) "I know, but it doesn’t make it any easier."

*We kissed again, the world outside the classroom fading away. Finally, we pulled apart, resting our foreheads against each other, both of us breathing hard, hearts pounding.*

**Amih:** (softly) "You’ll text me the moment you get home?"

**Me:** (nodding) "The very second."

*We sat together in the quiet, my arms wrapped around her, talking about everything and nothing, until we knew it was time to go. As we stood to leave, I pulled her in for one last, lingering kiss, both of us trying to make it last as long as possible.*

---

**The Next Day:**

*I arrived at school, excitement quickly turning to disappointment as I learned Amih had already left. I stood in the hallway, staring at the empty space where she’d usually be, my heart sinking.*