Twenty-eight

“You sure you're ok?” Erlington inquiries over the phone

A feeble smile breaks on my face as I reply, “I am. Nothing bad happened, thank God. I'm a little bit shaken but it's nothing I can't handle.”

Behind me, Adrian meanders down the stairs with a leather duffel bag in hand. He’s fully dressed in a pair of gray jogging pants, a black hoodie and matching running Nikes. Seriousness is plastered on his clean face, intense hazel-green eyes fixed at me as though he's on mission to listen and grasp every word I utter amid my phone call.

My breath hitches at the mere sight of him, but I try my best to remain clustered around his presence.

“That's great. You can take a few days off until you're better,” says my boss, but my attention has stupidly fallen into the hot dom that I love and hate at the same time.

How can a man be so gorgeous whether in a suit, casual, or even half-naked?

Pushing the illicit thoughts at the back of mind, I refocus on my boss.

“Thanks, Erlington. I'll be working from home in the meantime, if that's okay with you; I don't want this to jeopardize my responsibilities in any way,” I say suggestively.

The last thing I want is my colleagues gossiping in the office, thinking that I'm already fucking my boss to get a free pass.

“Whatever works for you, Ara,” he returns in a gentle tone of voice. “And where are you staying at the moment? I'd like to visit you if you don't mind.”

What? No.

“Um…” I clear my throat, caught up in my nerves now that Adrian is standing right in front of me, staring at me, waiting. “It's ok, you don't have to visit. I'm staying at a friend's house.”

Adrian's eyebrows draw in together disdainfully.

“Okay, sure. I'll see you when you come back to the office then,” Erlington says. I hum a soft yes, eyes locked with Adrian's unreeling ones. “Ok, take care. And call me if you need anything.”

“Um, sure. Thanks.” I bite my lower lip, a bit chagrined, for this has become awkward by now.

I think my boss is really flirting with me, and I don't know how to react yet. He's a playboy for all I know, and I'm the last woman he'd want to have a fling or relationship with if only he knew the kind of life I lead.

“See you soon, Ara,” he adds.

“Yeah. Ciao.” I hang up, pressing my lips together as I finally regard Adrian's presence with a clear mind. “Going somewhere?” I ask him; it's a bit too early for work and he's clearly not dressed for the occasion.

Everyone else is still in bed except us. I barely slept last night anyway and something tells me it wasn't any different with Adrian whose insomnia is much worse than mine.