CHAPTER 1 - A Doppelganger?

Darkness has always been my closest companion. It's in the shadows that I find solace, where the weight of my past and the endless years seem a little lighter. The world has changed countless times since I first walked its surface, but the coldness that grips my heart remains the same, as does the loneliness that comes with eternity.

My name is Natalia Andrea Petrova, and this is my story.

I was born under the light of a full moon, a child of impossible origins. My mother, a witch of unparalleled power, and my father, a hybrid of werewolf and vampire blood, defied nature to bring me into this world. From the moment of my birth, I was marked by fate, a being of light and darkness, of magic and monstrosity. My parents loved me fiercely, raising me in a world where magic flowed through our veins and supernatural was as natural as breathing. But even they could not protect me from the prophecy that foretold my doom.

As a child, I was adorned by all who knew me. My grandparents, who doted on me as their precious granddaughter, showered me with affection. I grew up surrounded by warmth, the nights filled with stories of ancient spells and werewolf lore, the days spent learning the secrets of the arcane and the ways of the pack. My life was perfect, or so it seemed.

But as my eighteenth birthday approached, a shadow fell over our family. The prophecy, once a distant echo in the background of our lives, became a looming specter. It spoke of a great and terrible power that would awaken withing me on the eve of my eighteenth year, a power that could bring about the end of the world. My parents, who had always believed in my goodness, refused to believe that I could ever become such a monster. But my grandparents, who loved me just as deeply, were consumed by fear.

The night air is cool against my skin as I stand by the window of the motel that I am staying, the floor beneath my bare feet radiating the warmth it gathered during the day. The moon hangs low in the sky, casting silvery light over the landscape. It is a familiar scene, one I have witnesses countless times over the centuries. Yet, despite the beauty that surrounds me, I cannot shake the feeling of emptiness that has settled in my chest.

For over 1,293 years, I have walked this earth, a creature of the night, a being caught between two worlds that should never have met. I am a vampire-witch, an impossible amalgamation of darkness and light. My existence is a paradox, a living contradiction that defies the very laws of nature. And yet, here I am, standing at the edge of eternity, haunted by the memories of a life that was stolen from me before it ever truly began.

I close my eyes and allow myself to drift back to a time long ago, to a time where I was still young and full of hope, before the prophecy that sealed my fatem before the betrayal that shattered my heart. The memories come flooding back, vivid and painful, as if they happened only yesterday.

I was born in a small village nestled deep withing the Carpathian Mountains, a place where the old ways still held sway, where magic was as much a party of daily life as the rising and setting of the sun. My mother, Elara was a powerful with, revered and respected by all who knew her. She was beautiful, with raven-black hair that cascaded down her back in waves and eyes the color of a stormy sea. My father Viktor, was a rare and formidable creature, a hybrid of werewolf and vampire blood, a being of both the wild and the night. Together, they were an unstoppable force,a perfect balance of strength and magic.

From the moment I was born, it was clear that I was different. My mother often told me stories of how, as a newborn, I had a strange aura around me, a mix of light and darkness that even she could not fully understand. My birth was a miracle, a union of two worlds that were never meant to coexist. My parents named me Natalia, a name that means 'born at Christmas', though I was born in the middle of summer. They said it was because I was their greatest gift, a child of light and hope.