Chapter 8 - Damon Did What?

The sun has already set when I arrive back at my home after a long day of training with Bonnie. Steam clouded the glass as I let the hot water run over me, cascading down my skin in waves, trying to wash away the tension that had been creeping in all day. The conversation with Stefan loomed over my mind, and the fundraiser at Mystic Grill was just hours away. There was a strange mix of anticipation and dread swelling inside me. The plan was simple, meet Stefan, gather whatever new information he had about Isobel, and figure out what to do next. But nothing in Mystic Falls was ever simple.

I shut off the water and grabbed the towel hanging on the hook nearby, wiping myself dry before wrapping it around my body. A glance at the clock told me I had about an hour left before meeting Stefan, plenty of time to get ready. As I dressed in a fitted dark green dress that complimented my body, I couldn't help but let my mind wander.

Isobel, Elena's mother. The name echoed in my head like a haunting refrain. Elena was unravelling the threads of her life, discovering that she wasn't just the girl next door but part of something much darker and ancient. As I applied a light layer of makeup and ran a brush through my hair, I thought about the implications. How deep did this connection run? Why did Isobel's presence feel like a ket to something bigger?

My phone buzzed on the counter. I glanced at the screen and saw it was another text from Stefan.

I have learned something new about Isobel. It's...complicated. we need to talk. - Stefan

I sighed, placing my phone down and finishing up. The dress hugged my figure perfectly, and after a few more finishing touches, I grabbed my clutch and headed out the door.

When I arrived at Mystic Falls, I spotted Stefan immediately. He was standing near the bar, deep in conversation with someone I didn't immediately recognize. Using my vampire hearing, I tuned into their conversation. As their words filtered in, my breath hitched.

Alaric Saltzman.

I knew of him, but I hadn't realized just how entwined he was in all of this. His voice was low, filled with quiet fury as he spoke to Stefan.

"Did Damon tell you anything yet?" Alaric ask.

"No. Damon is not in a right mind at the moment. He is going through something."

"When was he ever in a right mind?"

"Look. I ask and he said he didn't remember. He said it was all a blurry."

"He killed my wife and he didn't remember."

"Does Elena know about this?"

"No and I want to keep it that way for now. I will tell her when I know more."

"Make him remember Stefan or I will add more things for you to worry about." Alaric said. Stefan's response was calm, but there was tension in his voice.

I released my focus on the conversation and shifted my gaze away, not wanting to intrude any further. There was so much I hadn't known about Isobel, and clearly, Damon was in deeper than I realized.

A few minutes later, Stefan made his way to the table where I was sitting. He looked tense but composed, ready to share whatever news he had gathered. He opened his mouth to speak, but I raised a hand to stop him.

"I heard." I said. Cutting him off gently.

"You were talking to Alaric about Isobel and Damon."

Stefan's eyes flickered with surprise before settling into resignation. He should have known than to assume I wouldn't overhear.

"Then you know." He muttered, sitting down next to me.