9 | whispers in the hallways

"How's my current number one girl doing?" Reed's voice invades my ears as I'm closing my locker

"You're just calling me that because you feel bad, aren't you?" I ask, raising an eyebrow at him.

"Maybe?" he says, flashing an almost innocent smile "But seriously, how are you?"

"I've been better, honestly."

Saturday was supposed to be just a normal tutoring session at Reed's, helping him study for psychology, as usual. We ended up ordering Chinese takeout when we realized how late it was getting and how we still had a lot to go over.

Well, remind me not to order Chinese food ever again. I've been sick since then — so sick that I can barely walk without getting dizzy, let alone think about food.

"I don't know what happened," Reed says, genuine concern in his voice. "I swear I order food from that restaurant all the time and it's never made me sick."

"Reed, it's fine," I reassure him, trying to ease his guilt "It's not your fault."

"I feel like it is, though. Why don't you let me make it up to you? We can go... I don't know, have lunch at Jerry's tomorrow?"

He has a hopeful look in his face and leans against the wall while waiting for a response.

Jerry's is the local hangout and under normal circumstances I would jump at the chance to go there, they make my favorite pasta. But right now, the thought of eating anything makes my stomach turn.

"Brooks, with all due respect, I don't think I'll be able to even consider going out with you to eat anytime soon. Saturday was pretty traumatic." I say, half-joking.

"Shit! I'm sorry, blondie," he says quickly regretting his offer. "I really don't know how to make it better."

"You could start by not calling me 'blondie' ever again. You make me want to dye my hair brown to shut you up."

"I've always had a thing for brunettes, you know?" he grins mischievously.

I punch him lightly in the stomach and mouth "asshole" while laughing.

It's weird being friends with Reed, he's been proving me wrong. I had a completely different idea from him before we met.

"Moore, I'm being for real now. Let me do something for you..." his tone shifts slightly. "I can drive you home after school."

"I need to go the school library after class to do some research."

"Well, that's perfect. I have practice, why don't you go meet me when you're done? Or maybe I'll give you a call."